Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs May Be The Default File-System For Fedora 16

Phoronix: Btrfs May Be The Default File-System For Fedora 16

This news is a few days old, but not many people seem to have caught it while I was busy finishing up Phoronix Test Suite 3.0 and OpenBenchmarking.org: Btrfs may be the default file-system in Fedora 16...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fsck?

Will we have a true fsck.btrfs soon? I'm surprised that btrfs is getting a broad adoption before such a basic tool becomes available.

I've been using btrfs for a long time, and once in a while I've hit some problems, until not too long ago; when it happened, I didn't find a better solution than re-tarring the whole file system. Am I missing something?

Comment

There is btrfsck, but it's very limited right now (only works on unmounted file systems, and only does a "limited check of the FS extent trees").

There are a few things I've been waiting for from btrfs:
      1) Better fsck
      2) Better multi-device support (Raid 5, maybe)
      3) Performance fixes and tuning for databases (where it seems to run into the issue that both the database and the fs have competing mechanisms trying to guarantee atomic operations).

Not sure what kind of shape the last one would take... I feel btfs devs need to work it out with sqlite and Postgres devs to figure out the best tuning, cooperation strategy.

I look forward to using btfs, both on my desktop (should make pacman much faster), and on my server (yay for snapshots I can use for backup or automatic rollback)!

Comment

Is btrfsck doomed to run into the same problem that reiserfsck had, where you couldn't safely fsck a ReiserFS volume containing a ReiserFS filesystem image (which Hans Reiser particularly attributed to "writing fsck last"), or did somebody anticipate that problem?

Comment

Fedora 16 and / or ubuntu 11.10 / 12.04 ?

this is the best news i've heard in a while, maybe now they will speed integration

Comment

Working...
          X