Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Does Instanced Drawing

Phoronix: ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Does Instanced Drawing

As some non-OpenBenchmarking.org news this weekend, committed to the mainline Mesa Git repository for Mesa 7.11 is support for OpenGL instanced drawing within the ATI R600 Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Care to tell us what Instanced Drawing is?

Comment

A common use case in GL for some applications is to be able to
      draw the same object, or groups of similar objects that share
      vertex data, primitive count and type, multiple times. This
      extension provides a means of accelerating such use cases while
      restricting the number of API calls, and keeping the amount of
      duplicate data to a minimum.

Comment

A simple example would be drawing a forest using a single tree model. You'd pass an instance id and an array of positions and draw the same tree multiple times in various locations.

Comment

Seems like this is one bolt in an entire skyscraper, yeah? A "real" application won't hold up with this bolt alone, but it's a necessary step towards the final goal of proper OpenGL 3.0 support.

It's good that people are working on this, but this commit alone more than likely does not open up any new application support: apps writing to GL 2.1 won't use instanced drawing anyway, and apps writing to GL 3.0 or 3.1 will probably use other features of GL that Mesa doesn't yet support. So I dare say this isn't really newsworthy, as nice as it is.

Would much rather see a complete working GLSL 1.20 shader compiler for r600g, so that my existing apps don't crash deep within r600_dri.so when compiling a fragment shader...

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            Would much rather see a complete working GLSL 1.20 shader compiler for r600g, so that my existing apps don't crash deep within r600_dri.so when compiling a fragment shader...
            Make sure you've filed a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              Seems like this is one bolt in an entire skyscraper, yeah? A "real" application won't hold up with this bolt alone, but it's a necessary step towards the final goal of proper OpenGL 3.0 support.

It's good that people are working on this, but this commit alone more than likely does not open up any new application support: apps writing to GL 2.1 won't use instanced drawing anyway, and apps writing to GL 3.0 or 3.1 will probably use other features of GL that Mesa doesn't yet support. So I dare say this isn't really newsworthy, as nice as it is.
              If you have to go from A to B, walking on a path, you must do several small steps. You can't do only one big step.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                If you have to go from A to B, walking on a path, you must do several small steps. You can't do only one big step.
                I think allquixotic agrees with you, and I think his/her point was simply that each one of those steps is not worthy of a news article.

Comment

Working...
                X