SB700 high temperature problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ario View Post
    Can I ask you what is the model number of your laptop/motherboard?
    What is the name and version of your operating system?
    Are you using AMD proprietary graphic driver? Which Version though?
    Please answer these questions, because it helps me a lot. There a problem which I can solve in Windows but cant solve that on Linux, and it made my laptop useless for me
    Why do I get the feeling that you're trolling me?

Comment

Read the stuff on the bottom of this page about power management:

Comment

Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
        Well ..the heatsink of the SB710 on my Asrock A780GXH definitely gets uncomfortably hot when I touch it. I don't have a good way to measure the temperature though.

The datasheets for the SB mention things like clock gating and the ability to disable unused sata and usb ports. I don't know if these would amount to much or if they are handled by the bios, acpi.. whatever already.
        Thanks God! It seems someone else on the earth has the same problem. If your SB710 chip is too hot it mustn't be a huge problem, cause it's not on your HDD. But on my laptop it causes the HDD to get hot too. Please guys, find a way to solve this problem, tell me where to report a BUG or tell me how to write a device driver myself (I'm an electronic engineer). I'm so sad and sometimes I have bad feelings of suicide because of this problem

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Why do I get the feeling that you're trolling me?
          Sorry I don't know English well. So, If you mean "kidding", no! No kidding guy. You said you have no problem with SB700 and since I'm sure that my SB700 chip on mainboard of my laptop is too hot, wondered what is the combination of your system? Just this.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Read the stuff on the bottom of this page about power management:
            http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
            Thanks a lot guy, I read that page, and as mentioned in the page: "This page is only for free Radeon drivers". As I mentioned before, using free radeon driver on linux, all laptop is a smoking burning block! But after installing AMD proprietary driver, GPU and CPU cools down, but HDD and SB700 chip is still hot.
            I must say that the page you kindly linked, is about an X.Org driver. I even brought the system in recovery mode without any graphical user interface and no graphic acceleration enabled and SB700 chip is still hot. SB700 is a south-bridge chip and in AMD's micro-computer architecture, North-Bridge is used for communication with high speed devices like graphic, ram and sourth-bridge, and south-bridge itself is used to communicate with slower devices like USB ports, SATA, PATA, floppy and etc. So it's not solvable via graphic driver thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by ario View Post
              Thanks a lot guy, I read that page, and as mentioned in the page: "This page is only for free Radeon drivers". As I mentioned before, using free radeon driver on linux, all laptop is a smoking burning block!
              I realize the thread is about SB parts, but was your GPU "smoking burning hot" even after setting a low power profile following the instructions at the bottom of the page ?
              Test signature

Comment

The initial post lists temperatures for CPU, GPU, and HDD. I don't see anything about SB there. The only thing that changing the video driver can accomplish is GPU temperature changes.

Also, the fact that the various parts are all tied together in common heat spreaders tends to result in the temperature of one part being dragged up by heat coming off another part.

Go back to the open source driver, set the power profile to low, and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I realize the thread is about SB parts, but was your GPU "smoking burning hot" even after setting a low power profile following the instructions at the bottom of the page ?
                  Thanks for the reply indeed. I didn't tried that ever because installing proprietary driver solved my problem with the GPU and CPU. The only problem exists, is the temperature of SB700 chip.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    The initial post lists temperatures for CPU, GPU, and HDD. I don't see anything about SB there. The only thing that changing the video driver can accomplish is GPU temperature changes.

Also, the fact that the various parts are all tied together in common heat spreaders tends to result in the temperature of one part being dragged up by heat coming off another part.

Go back to the open source driver, set the power profile to low, and see what happens.
                    As I mentioned, Installing proprietary driver from AMD site reduced temperatures of GPU and CPU a lot. But SB700 chip is still too hot. I do not need to activate any profile for my GPU cause it's not hot. The SB700 chip is soldered on opposite site of mainboard comparing to GPU and CPU and is connected to an aluminium plate under keyboard which acts as a heat-sink to it. It is also positioned above the HDD so it causes the HDD to get too hot. This is why on first post I talked about the HDD temperature. I repeat removing HDD completely and booting system from memory card will not cool down SB700 and it's still hot.
                    After all, is it still necessary to remove proprietary driver from currently installed system, install opensource drivers and enable the low power profile to see whether it helps or not? It takes my time and I guess it won't work.
                    In the folder of windows drivers of my ACER5536 laptop, there are two folders under graphic driver folder with names:
                    USBFilter
                    SB700
                    After installing SB700 driver in my windows driver, HDD and SB700 chip itself cooled down and I think there must be similar driver which do the trick under Linux. If it's not there (I can't find it on AMD site) I'm ready to write it myself, but don't have any Idea where to start from!
                    Thanks again. Any other Idea?

Comment

Ok. Fresh installed Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 Alpha 3 with the 64bit kernel 2.6.38-5 on my laptop's hard-drive. Tried to enable the profiles. As in the wiki page of x.org:
                      You can select the methods via sysfs. Echo "dynpm" or "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card-0/device/power_method.
                      But I think canonical changed some addresses. In my /sys/class/drm/ this is the output of ls command:
                      card0 card0-HDMI-A-1 card0-LVDS-1 card0-VGA-1 controlD64 ttm version
                      Names in bold are symbolic links. So the address is not applicable without modification. by the way I changed card-0 to card0 and echoed profile and low keywords into related files without double quotations, still no change at all. Also due to lake of proprietary driver from AMD, GPU and CPU are hot too.
                      If you guys are right and the main reason is the Hard-drive itself, but not SB700 (The temperature of SB700 is much lower when I completely remove the HDD), how can I enable similar power-management features to my hard-drive or it's relating interface (maybe the AHCI)?

Comment

Working...
                      X