Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else having a rough time with their GTX580?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else having a rough time with their GTX580?

I personally expected more people to be talking about the GTX580 on a hardware enthusiast site. I've had mine for a week and while when it's working, it works really well, when it doesn't, it's a complete PITA.

I've been having X freezes with both the stable and beta drivers on Ubuntu. Am I the only person using a GTX580 on Linux or does it "just work" for everybody else?

Originally posted by oliw View Post
    I personally expected more people to be talking about the GTX580 on a hardware enthusiast site. I've had mine for a week and while when it's working, it works really well, when it doesn't, it's a complete PITA.

I've been having X freezes with both the stable and beta drivers on Ubuntu. Am I the only person using a GTX580 on Linux or does it "just work" for everybody else?
    I have had zero problems with my GTX-580 since the day they came out. It does "just work" here.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I have had zero problems with my GTX-580 since the day they came out. It does "just work" here.
      Can you tell me your basic configuration (mainly what OS, kernel and driver versions)?

Comment

Originally posted by oliw View Post
        Can you tell me your basic configuration (mainly what OS, kernel and driver versions)?
        Currently, openSUSE 11.3 64-bit, 2.6.37 (no issues as well on the 2.6.34 kernel that is the official kernel of 11.3), and no issues using drivers 260.19.12, 260.19.21, 260.19.26, 260.19.29, 260.19.36, 270.18, and currently using 270.26.

Comment

Anybody else having a rough time with their GTX580?

ya I am the one. Would you help me? If yes so tell me how?

Comment

works for me so far

I installed my GTX 580 last night (I was originally using a GTX 480). I'm using the 270.29 drivers. I'm running (k)ubuntu 10.10 with a custom 2.6.38.2 kernel here. I've personally had no trouble so far.

Comment

I don't know if it helps, but I've been having problems with my GTX 460 ever since I bought it.
              Random X freezes with the various famous NVRM codes in dmesg, resulting in having to force reboot the computer and pulling the power to have the card reset.

I've monitored voltage levels from the PSU, ran memtest, tried various stressing tools, but nothing can give any hint of an error.
              Also tried setting memory voltages and timings manually, and changing various other settings in BIOS according to several posts all over the internet from people with the same kind of issues.
              Nothing helped.

Right now it's working fairly well, and these are the two steps I took to get there:
              • Forced the powermizer mode to maximum
              • Upgraded my BIOS version, which included a fix for ASUS MemOK!

I do still have occasional freezes, but they are very rare, and I think it's been at least a month since the last time now.
              Hopefully those steps helps for you too.

My theory is that the NVidia hardware is simply bad, judging from all the problems they've been having with the laptop cards, etc.
              My next card will be an ATi for sure.

Comment

I think you're just having bad luck

Originally posted by Znurre View Post
                I don't know if it helps, but I've been having problems with my GTX 460 ever since I bought it.
                Random X freezes with the various famous NVRM codes in dmesg, resulting in having to force reboot the computer and pulling the power to have the card reset.

I've monitored voltage levels from the PSU, ran memtest, tried various stressing tools, but nothing can give any hint of an error.
                Also tried setting memory voltages and timings manually, and changing various other settings in BIOS according to several posts all over the internet from people with the same kind of issues.
                Nothing helped.

Right now it's working fairly well, and these are the two steps I took to get there:
                • Forced the powermizer mode to maximum
                • Upgraded my BIOS version, which included a fix for ASUS MemOK!

I do still have occasional freezes, but they are very rare, and I think it's been at least a month since the last time now.
                Hopefully those steps helps for you too.

My theory is that the NVidia hardware is simply bad, judging from all the problems they've been having with the laptop cards, etc.
                My next card will be an ATi for sure.
                I've used mostly nvidia cards for years without issue. My current desktop runs a GTX 580 and I recently upgraded from a GTX 480, no problems with either. My previous desktop (before moving to a radeon 4870) had a geforce 8800. My current laptop has a GTX 470m and my 2 previous ones had a GTX 280m and a goforce 6800. Never had any issues.

What motherboard and chipset are you using? Are you having trouble in windows? If you're not having trouble in windows, it's possible that there's a chipset/driverbug in the linux nvidia drivers that's not in the windows driver (I've seen this with fglrx and while fglrx isn't nearly as good as its windows counterpart, it does share a lot of code with the windows version like the nvidia drivers do).

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                  I've used mostly nvidia cards for years without issue. My current desktop runs a GTX 580 and I recently upgraded from a GTX 480, no problems with either. My previous desktop (before moving to a radeon 4870) had a geforce 8800. My current laptop has a GTX 470m and my 2 previous ones had a GTX 280m and a goforce 6800. Never had any issues.

What motherboard and chipset are you using? Are you having trouble in windows? If you're not having trouble in windows, it's possible that there's a chipset/driverbug in the linux nvidia drivers that's not in the windows driver (I've seen this with fglrx and while fglrx isn't nearly as good as its windows counterpart, it does share a lot of code with the windows version like the nvidia drivers do).
                  Well yeah, I've had GeForce all the time too, Riva TNT 2 Ultra, GeForce FX 5600, GeForce 9650GT Mobile, and now GTX 460.
                  All cards except for the 460 always worked without any issues, and it seems many others have those problems too judging from various forums.

My chipset is Intel H55, using an ASUS P7H55 motherboard.
                  I don't have Windows installed, so I haven't been able to test.
                  However, as I mentioned, my freezes seems to be partly gone now, so I don't really plan on troubleshooting the issue further.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    That's much like my experience. They just work I have found through out my upgrade paths. TNT--->TNT2--->Geforce 2 MX--->Geforce 4200Ti/4600Tis--->Geforce 6600GT--->Geforce 7600 GT--->Geforce 8200/8800GTs--->GTX-275--->GTX-480--->GTX-580

Comment

Working...
                    X