Last Minute Changes To GNOME Shell, Mutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    Yes, because that worked so well with compositing in KDE.

The "We're going to make you do something and if it doesn't work you need to make someone else fix their code" paradigm that seems to be taking hold is pretty user unfriendly.

Here's how it goes.

Me: Hey Ubuntu, I can't suspend
    Ubuntu: Send us the outputs of a dozen different commands
    Me: Ok
    *2 months of being ignored by dev, day of 11.04 release*
    Ubuntu: Hey, we just released 11.04, can you upgrade and re-test
    Me: Still broken
    *No action for 6 months*

I've been down this path before with kernel bugs and Ubuntu. The amount of time it takes for me to report and gather information further ignored by Ubuntu does not compare to the time it takes for me to hit the power button and go feed the Dog.

Unforunately that looks like my next move because I'm not sticking with pure Ubuntu.
    You can try archlinux It tends to work way better then Ubuntu IF you are willing to spend the time to configure nearly everything yourself.

As for the bug stuff. I sadly encoutered the exact same in both Gnome and Ubuntu bug trackers. Now i know they are probably lacking man power but it does feel frustrating when they simply ask to update your issue because they where lazy enough to not look at all open bugs before releasing a new version.

Archlinux always responds fast on bug reports. As for KDE. You can be sure that your bug does get read but you might not get a reply fast although always faster then the gnome bug tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
      You can try archlinux It tends to work way better then Ubuntu IF you are willing to spend the time to configure nearly everything yourself.

As for the bug stuff. I sadly encoutered the exact same in both Gnome and Ubuntu bug trackers. Now i know they are probably lacking man power but it does feel frustrating when they simply ask to update your issue because they where lazy enough to not look at all open bugs before releasing a new version.

Archlinux always responds fast on bug reports. As for KDE. You can be sure that your bug does get read but you might not get a reply fast although always faster then the gnome bug tracker.
      I'll look at it. I did the Gentoo thing for 5 years, I went with Ubuntu because I got tired of configuring things and wanted things to just work with semi-reasonable defaults so I didn't spend two weeks getting a working desktop.

Comment

@locovaca,
        Ubuntu is all about "Let's take verything we want that's out there and empty that duct tape reserve we gathered during the Cold War.

As it obviously the graphic driver department's door you need to knock on, you could also just press the Alt key to see the power dow. button in Gnome.

BTW the graphics department is working hard on getting everything set up and they are aware of the problems/holes that need to be fixed/filled. I know that there's a suspend problem with my HD5470 in my laptop and it already works 50% of the time on Fedora 14 so you might simply be lucky with the next Ubuntu/Fedora release. BTW why not use Fedora? It's more bleeding edge.

Comment

The other day I was trying out a daily live CD of Ubuntu Natty, setting aside that it's still in alpha status and a lot of apps were crashing, the way they botched up the UI with Unity and global menu is just terrible. So I might have to take another serious look at gnome-shell. I wish they'd provide a live CD with latest gnome-shell + kernel + mesa though, so people could give it a spin. I hate compiling stuff myself.

Comment

Hopefully future versions of Gnome 3 will add back in some of the functionality they are removing. It's all well and good to innovate with the interface to make it more intuitive, but it isn't reasonable to assume that your new paradigm is the way everyone will want to use their computer. Making your software uncomfortable for its current users will not attract new ones. Any truly successful desktop needs to have broad appeal, and strike a balance where new users can get started actually using their computer but experienced ones don't have to migrate to other platforms to make it work the way they want.

Just because I don't want to spend hours reading my car's manual and fine-tuning the engine doesn't mean I don't want to adjust the seat and mirrors.

Comment

I can only imagine how Mark S. feels now - what the hell those morons are doing?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                The other day I was trying out a daily live CD of Ubuntu Natty, setting aside that it's still in alpha status and a lot of apps were crashing, the way they botched up the UI with Unity and global menu is just terrible. So I might have to take another serious look at gnome-shell. I wish they'd provide a live CD with latest gnome-shell + kernel + mesa though, so people could give it a spin. I hate compiling stuff myself.
                Not sure about kernel and mesa versions, but there's live cds out there for Fedora and OpenSuse: http://shopeology.com/gnome-3-shell-...mage-format-2/

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  BTW why not use Fedora? It's more bleeding edge.
                  I don't necessarily want bleeding edge. I'm running 10.04 still, but I'm looking at what alternatives I have now that Ubuntu has decided to move from Gnome default towards their own bastardized UI.

I just want a stable OS with basic visual effects that has almost all of the packages I need in the main repo. I don't want to be running around enabling a bunch of third party repos for most of my packages. I like apt, but Debian's bullheadedness on crap like Firefox turns me off. The Ubuntu LTS releases worked well enough for that purpose but with Unity coming up for 12.04 I'm not going to stick around.

My main knock against Fedora is the Repo madness and the fact I hate having to download an ISO just to upgrade my system.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuran View Post
                    Not sure about kernel and mesa versions, but there's live cds out there for Fedora and OpenSuse: http://shopeology.com/gnome-3-shell-...mage-format-2/
                    Thanks, I think I'll give the Fedora image a spin later on.

Comment

My God. What are these people thinking?

Comment

Working...
                      X