Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your take on the Microsoft/Novell Partnership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux is open Source, the code is out there for anyone to see. There is no need for Microsoft to ally with someone in Linux to gain that information, nor do they need Novell's engineers to assist them in making a new kernel if thats what they choose. The NT Kernel was originally written by one man, coincidentally so was Linux's, and then heavily modified over the years to meet the needs of new technology. I guess what I'm saying is that with all the resources Microsoft has, they wouldn't need Novell. They also could not make a new Kernel based off of Linux kernel source without giving back all their changes, and I just don't see that happening.

One interesting thing I'd like to note is that there was a steady amount of updates for SLED 10 up until 2 weeks ago, now nothing. I wonder why that is?

Comment

I wasn't trying to imply that Microsoft CAN'T write a new kernel without outside help. What I meant is that they might want to bring someone end that has extensive experience with building modular style kernels. Just because someone can figure out how to build a hot rod doesn't mean they really want to do it all on their own.

There is something else going on here...Microsoft doesn't choose allies easily - They must have alot more to gain than they lead on.

Just an idea. Could be completely wrong and it's only about patent stuff.
      Last edited by afterburntdw; 08 November 2006, 12:05 PM.

Comment

The Samba team is now asking Novell to reconsider this deal -- http://news.samba.org/announcements/team_to_novell/
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Novell will have to come up with something good for the Linux community as an outcome of this deal with Microsoft if they intend to stay on the good side of many within the community. The Novell and SuSE brands, in my opinion, are on the verge of becoming way too tied to Microsoft to be a viable member to the GNU/Linux and Open Source community if they don't show us that this partnership is in some way good for us.

And I am very sceptical that they can pull this off. Microsoft is not a friend of the Linux community. This has been proven by years of derogatory statements, underhanded deals, and their basic way of doing business... throwing money at this problem cannot help their company erase this image they've made for themselves. I don't understand why Novell would want to tie themselves to such a company.

Another thing I'm interested in is whether or not this deal will impact Novell-related projects other than their distribution, namely XGL. AIGLX is already a good alternative to XGL, and an added bonus is that it doesn't replace the already-installed X server (in fact it's included in X.org V7.1). I know which one I'll be using.

Comment

Interesting Interview with Exec from MS about Novell Deal.

Here's an interview from Computerworld with Bill Hill, General Manager for Platform Strategy at Microsoft. An excerpt:

"Computerworld: What is Microsoft?s motivation for the deal with Novell? BH: This is an intellectual property deal. There will be an overlap at some point between our intellectual property and open source that we have to resolve."

The full article is here:

Take advantage of these handy tricks to save time, use fewer system resources, and get more done with the Edge browser.

Comment

Just read this in Fortune Magazine -- says the Microsoft Novell deal will be dead by March.

The potentially historic Microsoft-Novell pact announced last week, whereby Microsoft would grant patent peace to users of Novell's Suse Linux software in exchange for royalty payments paid by Novell to Microsoft, will be dead by mid-March, promises Eben Moglen, the general counsel of the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The FSF controls the license that governs the distribution of Linux and many other key forms of free and open-source software.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

It's good to see that deals of this nature will be specifically banned in GPL3.

It's too bad - I liked SUSE alot. But I won't touch it now.

Comment

Another set of those opposed to this deal:

Schwartz (Sun) - http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsID=7361

Red Hat - http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2059675,00.asp

Microsoft actually wants to deal with Red Hat like they are doing with Novell, but Red Hat is smart and says no.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.

In a question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS) conference in Seattle, Ballmer said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."

Comment

Steve Ballmer really makes my blood boil. He's got to be one of the most unpolished and childish executives in the IT industry. He never says specifically what in the Linux kernel infringes on MS IP. He's got nothing.

In my opinion, he (and MS by extension) only see $$$ for their shareholders - He even says that himself. MS has been trying to get a slice of the *nix pie for a long time now.

Comment

Working...
                      X