Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seems like old Ubuntu repositories are gone

It's not as simple as that.

I just tried Ubuntu this week, because my old hd died, so I had to restore data from backups anyway, and they were handing out free Ubuntu disks at school.

Unfortunately, the disks turned out to be Breezy.

Now, I don't mind upgrading, but according to here, you need the breezy repositories to do so.

I don't mind the lack of updates, but taking down the repositories makes upgrading unnecessarily difficult.

Breezy doesn't seem to recognize my cd-burner, so that's not an option.

Any ideas on how to get upgrade done?

Quote Originally Posted by damion4242 View Post
    It's not as simple as that.

I just tried Ubuntu this week, because my old hd died, so I had to restore data from backups anyway, and they were handing out free Ubuntu disks at school.

Unfortunately, the disks turned out to be Breezy.

Now, I don't mind upgrading, but according to here, you need the breezy repositories to do so.

I don't mind the lack of updates, but taking down the repositories makes upgrading unnecessarily difficult.

Breezy doesn't seem to recognize my cd-burner, so that's not an option.

Any ideas on how to get upgrade done?
    you can boof off livecd (like knoppix) and debootstrap ubuntu. you can do so from another ubuntu install if you have a spare partition.

or download a mini netinstall disk.

you could also try to replace sources.list entries with new ones and just apt-get update and install update-manager

speaking of which, doesn't launching
    sudo update-manager -c
    offer you upgrade to new release?
    Last edited by yoshi314; 07-13-2007 at 03:57 AM.

http://releases.ubuntu.com says:
    For old releases, see old-releases.ubuntu.com
    So just change the lines e.g. "archive.ubuntu.com ..." to "old-releases.ubuntu.com ..." in your /etc/apt/sources.list or using the GUI in Synaptic/Adept.

Here's were I found the solution and some backgrounds:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=468043&page=2

So happy upgrading! :-) (I also need the old repositories sometimes)

EDIT:
    In your /etc/apt/sources.list the syntax for the old-releases repository is a little different. I guess it must be "old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/ ..." So if adding this repository won't work url syntax is maybe a little different. Couldn't test it because at the moment there are only Windows PCs around me. *help* ;-)
    Last edited by ChrisNiemy; 07-16-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: url syntax is different