Seems like old Ubuntu repositories are gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems like old Ubuntu repositories are gone

I'm sorry but I just had to let this out.

While I'm not always very demanding in terms of updating my own distribution packages, when Ubuntu support was dropped I initially thought it was only to cease any version updates, which is fine.

Now I realize that the Ubuntu repositories older than Dapper have been pulled down, I am not a happy camper. I am not interested in updating to Dapper, Feisty, Gutsy, or whatever. I just want to be able to install applications while Breezy is running without having to do a major overhaul of my OS.

Thanks a lot Ubuntu. Thanks for handicapping my personal computing.

Maybe you should upgrade (through apt) to the long term support version.

Comment

Like I said. I'm not interested in a major OS overhaul. I don't have time to sit down and let Ubuntu update to Dapper. I *need* to install my packages now, pronto. Not later... not tomorrow. Now.

Just very frustrated in all of this.

EDIT:
      Just found this. One of the few Breezy repositories out there.

Last edited by niniendowarrior; 17 June 2007, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        Like I said. I'm not interested in a major OS overhaul. I don't have time to sit down and let Ubuntu update to Dapper. I *need* to install my packages now, pronto. Not later... not tomorrow. Now.
        Very good point. I'll ask Mark about this next time I talk to him.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

From what I've read there are still some repo mirrors available that have breezy and other distro packages available. Using these mirrors would require you to edit your repository file, but if insist on running an old unsupported distro such as that then chances are you'll have to know how to do much more anyway... that is if you want to keep up bug fixes or anything else.

Comment

Yes. I know what that would entail. And frankly, I don't demand Ubuntu to update versions and bug fix old Ubuntu distributions. If they withdraw support, that's fine. But by pulling down repositories, they cripple those Ubuntu distributions. IT IS NOT FUNNY WHEN SOMEBODY PULLS STUNTS LIKE THIS ON YOUR OS INSTALLATION!
            Last edited by niniendowarrior; 19 June 2007, 12:00 AM.

Comment

While I can understand the inconvenience, I do have an honest question for you. How long should a Linux distro provide server space/mirrors for unsupported releases?

I know that you said you have no desire or intention to update your release, but really if you don't want to update your system on a frequent basis maybe you should just stick to the Ubuntu LTS releases or choose a different distro that has a much longer support cycle.

Comment

If I were Ubuntu and I would be pulling down repositories, I'd rather put up some of them as a downloadable iso like an add-on iso where people can download and then toss their repositories to hell. Ubuntu still hosts their older Ubuntu isos, and if they don't want to host old repositories, I would want to give these people a good avenue to use their Ubuntu system instead of crippling people and forcing them to upgrade. Linux is about choice. I chose Breezy.

LTS would have been the choice, but if you read my post earlier, I did not know Ubuntu would tear down repositories.

Furthermore, I installed Breezy when it was new.

Comment

According to this article - http://www.howtoforge.com/dvd_images...u_repositories - an ubuntu repository is around 30 GB large. It's not as simple as just making an ISO file and releasing it, and that's a lot of space to continue hosting an old repository for the few people still using Breezy.

You may already know about this site, but it contains package information for Breezy - http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/. If there's something you need to install, you can find the name of the .deb file for that package. Then, google for the .deb and download it off one of the mirrors that comes up. Alternatively, one of those mirrors is probably a repository you can use for ubuntu to replace the official ones that are no longer up.

Comment

Thanks a lot Ubuntu. Thanks for handicapping my personal computing.
                    actually you're handicapping yourself by using outdated and insecure software from not-supported-anymore distribution.

that's life. you have stay upgraded to keep up with security fixes.

didn't feel like making a rant, and i hope i don't offend anyone by saying this.

Comment

Working...
                    X