ATI 8.28.8 FC6 2.6.20 driver install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldMarine View Post
    The delete worked but I have not found the Makefile for linux-dri. That same Makefile should have linux-dri-x86. Here is the website:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building
    There's just one makefile. In the mesa3D root directory, you can just type "make" to get a list of possible "configs".

Comment

I can't find the source code directory. I did a

"find / -name "Makefile" -print >laplist"

That should have been every Makefile on the box with a path saved in laplist.

"grep mesa laplist"

on matches

You have any ideas as to something in the path?
      Last edited by OldMarine; 20 June 2007, 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I can't find the source code directory. I did a

"find / -name "Makefile" -print >laplist"

That should have been every Makefile on the box with a path saved in laplist.

"grep mesa laplist"

on matches

You have any ideas as to something in the path?
        How did you download mesa? Either get latest development version with "git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa" (this will create a "mesa" folder in the current directory) or download the latest stable from http://www.mesa3d.org/ . I don't think it matters which version you use for the r128, but either way the Makefile is in the new folder created by git/tar.

I have little experience with RPM, but there should be an rpm src package that installs the sources in /usr/src

Comment

Here is the Xorg.0.log ...
          From your Xorg.0.log file, your DRI should be fine. I suggest download the mesa via git (as stated in Xipeos post).

By the way, It seems ALGIX able to load (eventually). This seems possible to run Compiz, but I am not sure how the performance will be...

Comment

Xipeos git is a great little program. Thanks I have used rpm and yum in the pasted. Left the make running. I will have to go to work now. I'll move the files to /usr/lib when I get home and leave a post. Thanks Later

lenrek as soon as we work out this little thing with Direct Rendering I test it and see how well it works and post. There are a lot of the old Dell boxes out there going by the number of post.
            Last edited by OldMarine; 20 June 2007, 06:48 AM. Reason: Edit for lenrek

Comment

Boys the build worked great. The link http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building is just what the doctor ordered. I followed the direction on the page and it works better than the default load. Direct Rendering works and the box just feels better. Even things that are not GL. The only difference from your instructions was to use the linux-dri-x86 build directive instead of the linux-dri and added "DRI_DIRS = r128" to the linux-dri-x86 file to limit the number of card types that would be supported by the driver.

I don't have much hope for compiz but I think I will try it just to see.

Thanks Everyone.
              Last edited by OldMarine; 21 June 2007, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Glad to know it works for you.

Compiz? Good luck for you on this! All these talk about Rage128 just makes me want to dig up my old card and see if I can still get it working...
                Last edited by lenrek; 21 June 2007, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X