Microsoft bans FOSS from Windows Phone Marketplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft bans FOSS from Windows Phone Marketplace

5e. The Application must not include software, documentation, or other materials that, in whole or in part, are governed by or subject to an Excluded License, or that would otherwise cause the Application to be subject to the terms of an Excluded License.

"Excluded License" is defined as:

“Excluded License” means any license requiring, as a condition of use, modification and/or distribution of the software subject to the license, that the software or other software combined and/or distributed with it be (i) disclosed or distributed in source code form; (ii) licensed for the purpose of making derivative works; or (iii) redistributable at no charge. Excluded Licenses include, but are not limited to the GPLv3 Licenses. For the purpose of this definition, “GPLv3 Licenses” means the GNU General Public License version 3, the GNU Affero General Public License version 3, the GNU Lesser General Public License version 3, and any equivalents to the foregoing.
    It would be nice if there was a provided list of excluded licenses. "in part redistributable at no charge" takes out a lot of libs.

LMAO!!!!
    MS never used to be *this* evil. It was a major downturn when MS went from Gates to Balmer. Gates was actually pretty cool, but Balmer makes the prince of darkness look positively angelic.

I think that I understand the reason why they are doing this though. I don't think that it is strictly a matter of stopping open source, but in making sure that the licenses that all the software is published under makes that software compatible with being fully RIPPED OFF by MS. I'm sure that you'll find another clause that reads to the effect of "anything you publish belongs to us and we can do whatever we want with it".

Comment

"You have a choice"

You have a choice. As long as your choice matches MS choice...

Comment

Well, that's going to help WinMo7's sales a bunch...

Comment

I'd guess Nokia had MS make major concessions in those areas so that WP7 would come closer to symbian functionalities and features at least on their phones. If not, well... good bye Nokia.

Comment

This is easy to circumvent if you're not required to offer your software under the GPL (which happens when you use a GPL-licensed library or something like that.)

You simply rename your app, change the license and there; you can ship on WP.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              This is easy to circumvent if you're not required to offer your software under the GPL (which happens when you use a GPL-licensed library or something like that.)
              LGPL appears to be explicitly included in the post above, and I think it's pretty clear that GPL libraries are too ("must not include ... in whole or in part").

I presume some Microsoft lawyer thinks that if someone puts up a GPL app for sale and a user demands the source, that Microsoft could get in trouble for not supplying it.

Comment

Stupid M$ and baldmer can't get it The existence of a gpl development option in an environment is its richness. With this bigoted way of thinking m$ and nokia can never compete with android. Suckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Well, that's going to help WinMo7's sales a bunch...
                  cause the sheeples out there really care about the licence behind apps
                  They just care if they get there angrybirds level or not

Developers are different. look at the N900 the apps for that are pretty much almost 100% FOSS and well look what apps are there. The common user is not interested in that list, they want silly voice changing apps, apps you can get on the iphone

thus what licence an app is release as is a readherring

WP7 will fail for other reasons mind, but this isn't going to be a major contributor

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                    Stupid M$ and baldmer can't get it The existence of a gpl development option in an environment is its richness. With this bigoted way of thinking m$ and nokia can never compete with android. Suckers.
                    I feel dumber for having read this. Can I have my 5 seconds back ?

Comment

Working...
                    X