What NVIDIA's Linux Customers Want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    • Twinview does not work properly with the 200 series and up drivers.
    Care to explain? I use Twinview at work and home just fine.

Comment

All I care about is KMS and Wayland support.

Comment

I was (past tense) an Nvidia customer, until I learned of their apathy towards free/open source, through Phoronix and other sites.

Now, I and anyone else whom I influence will not purchase Nvidia graphics until Nvidia has a major attitude adjustment. They are the only one of the "Big Three" laptop/desktop GPU manufacturers who snubs free/open source.

Free/open source is my only criterion. The last Nvidia card I bought was a GTX 280 in 2007, and it died a year afterwards. My upgrade path into the foreseeable future will be AMD all the way for high-performance desktop graphics, and either AMD or Intel for ultraportable laptops. Currently enjoying my HD5970 on r600g.

Pay multiple Nvidia employees to work on open source graphics drivers for all Nvidia graphics chipsets and release public documentation, or this technology enthusiast will continue to snub you, Nvidia. End of story.

And yes, I appreciate Nouveau and PathScale. But I want to see Nvidia employees personally involved in the development effort. It's their responsibility to support their own hardware, not PathScale's. If they choose to be irresponsible to those demanding free/open source drivers, that is their choice, but customers will walk.

Hello, AMD. You are not perfect, but at least you try.

Hello, Intel. Thanks for the great open drivers, but maybe a little performance once in a while, eh?

Goodbye, Nvidia. It was nice knowing you.

Comment

As much as I agree with you, I'm pretty sure the few customers that think like that won't even make one Nvidia exec blink...

Comment

I would kill to see multi-monitor support work finally. I've been using 4 monitors for years and honestly all the vendor support sucks for this, as neither ATI or NVidia can do compositing across all of them. Using more than 1 monitor kills SLI capability (?!), can only composite render across 2, and anymore requires Xinerama to do it's dirty work. I really can't find a straight answer that says 3+ monitor compositing is a limitation in xorg or the hardware, other than that work toward Wayland recently to resolve xorg limitations in the windowing system (which nvidia has said they WON'T support - boo/hiss...).

I bought an ATI Eyefinity 6 finally out of frustration with Nvidia as most people say it can do 3+ monitors "as one", but still only using Xinerama that kills compositing support. Plus otherwise there were so many bugs in just using 4 monitors Xinerama'd that it was almost unusable with artifacting and tearing (of which their 2gb card wouldn't even let me enable "tear free" features for "lack of memory"(?)). At least using 2 nvidia cards I could get reasonable stability and performance (old gtx7950's) at the cost of full desktop compositing (which I miss compiz terribly), so I'm just going to exchange it for 2 newer, higher-end nvidia cards. Completely worthless ATI Eyefinity support STILL under linux.

Is it really too much to ask for compositing across more than 2 monitors under Linux from either vendor? I'd even take a crap Intel GPU if it could just do decent multi-monitor desktop compositing...

Comment

2D performance still sucks.
              Just try to play freeciv_gtk with the nvidia driver. Nouveau is so much better there.

Comment

Just give me a good open source driver. I hate going to test out a Linux distro in Live mode and the screen looks all wonky or the desktop doesn't work right because I have to install a proprietary driver, something you can't do without installing the OS, which kind of defeats the purpose of Live distros. Once you get the propreitary drivers installed, Nvidia cards rock, (except on KDE, but that's as much KDE's bad as it is Nvidia's) but before that they suck. Give me an open source driver with 3D support and that works as well as a proprietary driver that can be used to truly test a Linux distro before you install it and I'll be happy. You can keep some of those other features, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  in my point of view paying 2-3 opensource devs is very cheap for a company like nividia.
                  They would sacrifice their premium business cards that differentiate from consumer hardware through special drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                    Optimus support will likely never come to the blob. Essentially it would require Nvidia to integrate an Intel driver into the blob. Since the way Optimus works is that the Nvidia GPU does all its rendering to the framebuffer of the Intel GPU (after a frame is done a memcpy to the Intel framebuffer happens). The Intel GPU does all the presentation of the to the main display, so a full Intel 2D driver including mode switching all the other hell is needed.
                    This would be SO easy with open drivers. They would share most of the infrastructure, so no problem at all.

And people actually claim that a closed source solution is technically better. If it makes it impossible to write drivers, then it's not better.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      As much as I agree with you, I'm pretty sure the few customers that think like that won't even make one Nvidia exec blink...
                      The regular Linux desktop users do not make Nvidia execs blink either.

The binary drivers are there because it's relatively little work for them, since they have a cross-platform workstation driver anyway. Not because of enthusiast Linux-Wine gamers and their millions of bucks.

As soon as anything Linux related actually requires proper Linux-related work (Optimus, xrandr, full XRender extension support, etc.) you get nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X