Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google & Open-Source ATI/NVIDIA Drivers

Phoronix News: Google & Open-Source ATI/NVIDIA Drivers

During the state of the Linux round-table discussion on the first day of the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, James Bottomley (Linux kernel developer) had asked the panelists what are the top two things each panelist would like from the Linux community. Among the panelists was Google's Chris DiBona, who is the open-source program manager at Google. His response was interesting when he had said the following: "I would love to get either NVIDIA and ATI to actually give us the specs on the drivers we want or let's just reverse engineer everything and do it ourselves...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice one, Google!

Comment

i wonder if ati's starting to feel the pressure.

all that buzz around rumors of opening the drivers, release of preliminary r500 opensource driver, and general push on ati to release the specs or opensource the driver.

i surely would if i were in their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        i wonder if ati's starting to feel the pressure.

all that buzz around rumors of opening the drivers, release of preliminary r500 opensource driver, and general push on ati to release the specs or opensource the driver.

i surely would if i were in their shoes.
        Somehow, at this moment, I feel, the more pressure the better!

Comment

Displaylink also need to have pressure put on them by the linux community
          displaylinklinuxdriver.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X