Intel Graphics On Linux Still Behind Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait till bulldozer is released because it goes to 11

I won't be buying any CPU's soon though, gonna stick with what I got until 2nd gen bulldozers are released with graphics

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      why someone buy intel for linux graphiks?

just because opensource? why not buy an amd card and enjoy an real good opensource driver?
      I've been waiting for SB b/c of Anand's tests that showed the 12EU version beating the low end discrete chips in almost all instances and being competitive with a few of the next level up cards. In my experience (with Nvidia and Intel), Intel has been the only one to provide a tear-free desktop (though not with regards to video on my 945m) without resorting to OGL. I'm going to buy an SB chip (specifically a socket 1156 xeon when it is released) b/c the graphics have been good and I don't have this ridiculous instability that is partly caused by, IMHO, Nvidia's driver. I will buy AMD cards and look forward to Bulldozer and Fusion in general, but I want the gallium drivers to be in better shape and the state trackers be available for off-loading some of the video playback (cpu is simply not fast enough on high bitrate even with threading).

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        How about Intel releasing a Proprietary driver like they do for Windows.

Here is an Idea! One version of a Linux distribution supported for 10 years.
        Then that one driver works for 10 years. It's unbelievable!

You'd have programs lining up to use those I/O towers.
        Drivers from hardware vendors would all become available over night.
        It's called RHEL, 7-10 yrs of support and stable ABI.

Not sure why everyone doesn't use it :-)
        Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i prefer debian based stuff... maybe other people think in the same way.

but hey long life to redhat and RHEL (but i don't use it)
          You musta missed the smiley, I wasn't actually being serious, though I do wonder what Debian distro gives 7-10 year lifetime with stable ABIs.

Dave.

Comment

Please add an article on HTPC use w/ Sandy Bridge on Linux

I'm more interested in the 35W chips...they have QuickSync for transcoding (getting rid of commercials) and they slept w/ the RIAA so you can finally get audio on the same HDMI cable that goes to your TV/receiver w/o running a separate spdif cable

Here's a good review of Windows use:
            In our launch coverage of Intel’s Sandy Bridge we took an in-depth tour of the platform’s capabilities.  But our previous coverage was limited to a higher end member of the CPU lineup with a 95 watt TDP, that made is less ideal for dedicated home theater PC (HTPC) use–especially considering its tantalizing siblings scheduled to arrive shortly thereafter. Fortunately we [...]

Comment

Hmm, it doesn't look very bad at least on most of this graphs. But nexuiz's results is tragic in term of performance. Hope they will fix this quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by kenyee View Post
                they have QuickSync for transcoding (getting rid of commercials)
                Ummm what does transcoding have to do with getting rid of commercials? To get rid of commercials you usually edit the raw original video stream.

Comment

Working...
                X