Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.2 Linux Driver Released

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
    And, as far as I've understood, we might actually see this fixed in a future driver:
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25
    From the page linked above:
    one common issue that we have seen is that wine is generating _illegal_ GLSL
    shaders which are accepted by one other IHV
    . our compiler would reject the
    shader per the specification, and you would run into those issues.
    Something to keep in mind before trashing FGLRX maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Quake 4 and quake wars work flawless with the fglrx drivers.
    Quake is OpenGL, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Dont expect games under wine to work well though.
    I've played on wine enough, so I knew what to expect. Just run "fglrx" search over wine's bugzilla to get wide view.

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0
    Something to keep in mind before trashing FGLRX maybe?
    Well, you see, GLSL is just one of the problems. If it will be the _only_ problem with fglrx, than, with enough luck, wine developers will stop simply ignoring fglrx-related bugs.

Maybe current state of fglrx driver isn't so bad, but it has very bad heritage and unless something really cool will be introduced, fglrx will still suck in humans' minds. Currently NVidia outperforms fglrx in both of game quantity and game quality. Maybe this is because fglrx is "more correct", yes, but who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Nord View Post

I've played on wine enough, so I knew what to expect. Just run "fglrx" search over wine's bugzilla to get wide view.

Well, you see, GLSL is just one of the problems. If it will be the _only_ problem with fglrx, than, with enough luck, wine developers will stop simply ignoring fglrx-related bugs.

Maybe current state of fglrx driver isn't so bad, but it has very bad heritage and unless something really cool will be introduced, fglrx will still suck in humans' minds. Currently NVidia outperforms fglrx in both of game quantity and game quality. Maybe this is because fglrx is "more correct", yes, but who cares?
    People trying to write to spec to make something as portable as possible might care.
    Wine has a long history of writing around problems and/or caring only about nvidia blobs - and with good reason I might add. This is changing as there are better drivers from other manufacturers out, and of course the open source drivers.
    At the end of the day, wine is a single application being used as a windows emulator. The most important thing to look at are native applications - which use OpenGL.

I dont know what is 'cool' about a video driver, but if you are really interested you could see one feature for a tear free experience was introduced with this driver.

Wine is not the way to play anything frankly if you are a gamer expecting performance from new games.Windows is the official platform to play a game.Except the opengl ones like quake.

I had nvidia before and it was as bad in games i tried to run on wine but i ddnt complain because wine is not the platform to run a game.I rather play native opengl games directly on linux or use windows for the others.

I again have an nvidia buy coming up but even with that wine is a shitty method to play anything.I have windows 7 in handy.

Btw,your comment about image quality is incorrect.Google for image quality and you will read the opposite.So iam not sure if you are talking about image quality in wine.

If Nvidia works decently in wine its a good thing.But even if it didnt iam not complaining.

Sorry about using the word sh*t.Cant find edit button for posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    At the end of the day, wine is a single application being used as a windows emulator. The most important thing to look at are native applications - which use OpenGL.
    Well, maybe, in some bright far future, all major game titles (and games are one of the most important reasons why you may need discrete GPU. OpenCL and others are far not so popular) will be also released on Linux platform, just like they are released on Mac OS X now. Maybe this will be some near future, maybe more distant one, but anyway, we can't count on this for now. So, bugs-in-wine on fglrx are major reason, why gamers still buy NVidia, thought modern ATI's beating them in performance/price ratio by far. And looking for culprit - wine developers, fglrx developers, aliens, Microsoft or whatever - this is just useless here. flgrx developers may just pay a little more attention for wine bugs, as they could more easily detect the real problem - in driver or in wine. At least, that will be, imo, more useful then vsync or flash acceleration. I'm happy with OSS drivers for video and flash, so I need fglrx only for games and, mostly, for wine games. But that's my IMO, of course.

Well, maybe, in some bright far future, all major game titles (and games are one of the most important reasons why you may need discrete GPU. OpenCL and others are far not so popular) will be also released on Linux platform, just like they are released on Mac OS X now. Maybe this will be some near future, maybe more distant one, but anyway, we can't count on this for now. So, bugs-in-wine on fglrx are major reason, why gamers still buy NVidia, thought modern ATI's beating them in performance/price ratio by far. And looking for culprit - wine developers, fglrx developers, aliens, Microsoft or whatever - this is just useless here. flgrx developers may just pay a little more attention for wine bugs, as they could more easily detect the real problem - in driver or in wine. At least, that will be, imo, more useful then vsync or flash acceleration. I'm happy with OSS drivers for video and flash, so I need fglrx only for games and, mostly, for wine games. But that's my IMO, of course.
    I for one can't stand that kind of "the WINE devs program for nvidia, just buy a geforce" status quo, for a number of reasons.
    Especially when it comes to an OS that has historically very much been about users being proactive and scratching their own itch.

So here's a suggestion: does anyone here have a Radeon HD lying around collecting dust? I do, and I think I might just donate it to WINE devs.

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    I for one can't stand that kind of "the WINE devs program for nvidia, just buy a geforce" status quo, for a number of reasons.

So here's a suggestion: does anyone here have a Radeon HD lying around collecting dust? I do, and I think I might just donate it to WINE devs.
    There's no need for that. Henri Verbeet, the main wined3d coder, already has Radeon HD hardware, in fact he even contributes to the open source r600g driver. In any case you are barking up the wrong tree, the problem is not wine, the problem is fglrx. Every time I encountered a bug with wine+fglrx, it always turned out to be that the bug was in fglrx not in wine. Just look at the bug report linked to a few posts ago as another example...

Quote Originally Posted by http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25
    We* have fixed the issue, the fix will be included in future release.

*where we stands for ATI/AMD
    ...so again the bug was in fglrx. A better suggestion would be to point the AMD blob devs to the open source piglit test suite, and tell them to fix their god damned driver and do some fscking regression testing. Last time I ran piglit on fglrx some months ago the results were disappointing, to make an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    There's no need for that. Henri Verbeet, the main wined3d coder, already has Radeon HD hardware, in fact he even contributes to the open source r600g driver. In any case you are barking up the wrong tree, the problem is not wine, the problem is fglrx. Every time I encountered a bug with wine+fglrx, it always turned out to be that the bug was in fglrx not in wine. Just look at the bug report linked to a few posts ago as another example...

...so again the bug was in fglrx. A better suggestion would be to point the AMD blob devs to the open source piglit test suite, and tell them to fix their god damned driver and do some fscking regression testing. Last time I ran piglit on fglrx some months ago the results were disappointing, to make an understatement.
    What you linked to I thought was more due to a wine bug actually. The AMD guys can make a workaround, but if something's not in spec, how do you blame AMD for that?

It clearly says that they fixed the bug, they didn't say they made a workaround. Perhaps you're referring to the comment about wine supposedly generating illegal shaders.

Why would they want to make workarounds for wine bugs? That doesn't sound like AMD at all. As Henry Verbeet said if they find the bug is in wine they should report it to the wine bugzilla or to him, so the bug can be fixed in wine. If they don't do so and fix the bug in fglrx, I assume the bug is in fglrx, not in wine.