Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

While there is not integrated support for S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) support fully integrated into the Mesa / Gallium3D code-base over patents covering the algorithm, there are Mesa drivers that support hooking into an external S3TC library. This external S3TC support requires setting a special variable in the build process and building the S3TC library (named libtxc_dxtn.so) after obtaining the code from an independent source. This move shifts the legal burden from the Mesa developers and onto the user...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

---great---

Comment

Michael: "there is not" >> "there is no"

On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss

Comment

Awesome!

Question though: where do I put R600_ENABLE_S3TC=1 to test this?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss
          And if i understand right it is not enough to install the lib. You need to recompile mesa.

Comment

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Perry3D View Post
              And if i understand right it is not enough to install the lib. You need to recompile mesa.
              That is easy to do on Gentoo Linux.

Comment

OK, never mind. It's not an option to put into xorg.conf. It's an env variable. I just tried it and now VMWare can use 3D acceleration to run a guest with compositing enabled:

(Yes, I'm running Gentoo Linux )

Comment

And hw video acceleration is demanded for how long? Like years? Yet we still have nothing and even Christian Konig seems to be working on something else.

Sorry, but it bothers me a lot.

Having a new feature is always appreciated, Dave is the man!

Comment

Can you do a little test for me?
                    What happens if you remove the lib after recompiling mesa with the lib? Are you getting segmentation faults or undefined references? Or does just the support for texture compression disappear?

Comment

Working...
                    X