Intel Motherboards That Work With Linux S3 / Hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Motherboards That Work With Linux S3 / Hibernation

I have a couple of specific questions and requests regarding these Intel boards. My ultimate goal is to have a stable instant on Linux desktop. Meaning, a machine that can gracefully S3 suspend-to-ram or hibernate repeatedly.

I'm trying my best to figure out which one of these boards has built in DVI, or support (in Linux, of course) for the plug in ADD2 card that allows for DVI output. Newegg has a couple of these cards from Wintech, with claimed support for most recent Intel chipset based motherboards.

The second is, which one of these boards (with DVI) will gracefully suspend to RAM and hibernate?

If anybody has any positive results using S3 suspend to ram with a desktop board under Linux, I would love to hear from you. (Would love to hear from you more if you are using an NVDIA based chipset, NVIDIA grpahics card, the proprietary binary driver and have had success with S3 and hibernate.)

Any possibility of testing these features with a review?

My Thinkpad x40 has no problems doing either S3 or hibernate without fail. Maybe I should be looking at something like Tyan's Tomcat i945GM (S3095). Based on a mobile chipset with DVI, but a bit pricier considering you need a mobile CPU.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Nick

Originally posted by nyc_paramedic View Post
    I have a couple of specific questions and requests regarding these Intel boards. My ultimate goal is to have a stable instant on Linux desktop. Meaning, a machine that can gracefully S3 suspend-to-ram or hibernate repeatedly.

I'm trying my best to figure out which one of these boards has built in DVI, or support (in Linux, of course) for the plug in ADD2 card that allows for DVI output. Newegg has a couple of these cards from Wintech, with claimed support for most recent Intel chipset based motherboards.

The second is, which one of these boards (with DVI) will gracefully suspend to RAM and hibernate?

If anybody has any positive results using S3 suspend to ram with a desktop board under Linux, I would love to hear from you. (Would love to hear from you more if you are using an NVDIA based chipset, NVIDIA grpahics card, the proprietary binary driver and have had success with S3 and hibernate.)

Any possibility of testing these features with a review?

My Thinkpad x40 has no problems doing either S3 or hibernate without fail. Maybe I should be looking at something like Tyan's Tomcat i945GM (S3095). Based on a mobile chipset with DVI, but a bit pricier considering you need a mobile CPU.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Nick
    Are you looking for one with Intel open-source graphics (that's what thread your posting in)? There are several motherboards that meet your criteria. Is this for simple desktop usage or what tasks will you be doing?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Are you looking for one with Intel open-source graphics (that's what thread your posting in)? There are several motherboards that meet your criteria. Is this for simple desktop usage or what tasks will you be doing?
      Intel open-source graphics would be ideal. The machine would be for general desktop usage; I have a second box for linux gaming.

What are the other motherboards that you were about to recommend? Any threads or specific websites that deal with S3 and hiberate anf Linux desktop hardware?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Nick

Comment

Some of the manufacturers that make nice motherboards (other than Intel) with Intel Chipsets are Tyan, Abit, and ASUS.

The Intel open-source graphics should work fine with S3 / hibernate, or should work well shortly since the drivers are actively being developed.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Some of the manufacturers that make nice motherboards (other than Intel) with Intel Chipsets are Tyan, Abit, and ASUS.

The Intel open-source graphics should work fine with S3 / hibernate, or should work well shortly since the drivers are actively being developed.
          Would you consider testing these features in future reviews? Leaving PC's on for most of the day has huge enviromental implications, but I find it frustrating to keep booting up Linux thoughout the day. Even with my cool and quiet and NVIDIA drivers installed properly, the machine will idle at more than 100 watts during the day.

Nick

Comment

We will try to work on such an article that covers these matters.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Nick: that's why letting your PC crunch workunits when it's idle (like through the BOINC program) is a great idea. At least this way your PC will be useful and helps humanity in the process.

BOINC is an open-source software platform for computing using volunteered resources

Comment

We will try to work on such an article that covers these matters.
                I noticed in your review of the SilverStone Temjin TJ08 micro ATX case, you installed the Tyan i945G motherboard.

Is there a review forthcoming for the motherboard? If not, can you say where you purchased such a board? I can't seem to find any retailer carrying that specific model.

Thanks.

Comment

A Tyan i945G motherboard review should be available in a few weeks. I'll ask Tyan for some authorized resellers of the board.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                  X