Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Source Engine On Postal III Is Still Coming To Linux

Phoronix: The Source Engine On Postal III Is Still Coming To Linux

While it was announced previously by the Running With Scissors Game company that Postal III would be released for Linux like had been done with previous Postal games, there has been some speculation in recent months that Postal III would not make it out for Linux. In particular, because this game is now being powered by Valve's Source Engine, and there still being many in disbelief that it's coming to Linux. Well, in fact, a native version of Postal III is still coming to Linux and it's looking like it will be here around May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means that steam for linux is sooner than ever, or source for linux atleast. These guys wouldn't do source port for valve, because they could have just waited for valves source linux port, meaning this is legit valve port.

Comment

Originally posted by RWS
      We are hopeful to reach a distribution deal at GDC and worse case we go [direct download] and will find another team [for] Linux.
      What does the distribution deal have to do with the actual development, that is the Linux client?

Well, I knew Steam was still coming, but that doesn't make quite a lot of sense to me.

Comment

One company/licensee that's porting the engine to Linux does not mean that Valve is going to support Linux for any of its titles, or that it's going to fold those portability changes back into their upstream copy of the code, or that they are bringing Steam to Linux.

It just means that RWS paid some of their Moscow team to port the copy of the engine they got as part of their license. Which is precisely why RWS said they'd look for a new Linux team if they had to, rather than asking Valve to do something differently.

So yeah, this isn't big news on the Valve/Steam front in any way. It is good news for Postal fans, though. (I loved Postal 2! Sad that it doesn't seem to run anymore on modern distros.)

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          One company/licensee that's porting the engine to Linux does not mean that Valve is going to support Linux for any of its titles, or that it's going to fold those portability changes back into their upstream copy of the code, or that they are bringing Steam to Linux.
          Not in the real world, no. But it does exactly mean that on the alternate universe planet phoronix. Failing to provide any real evidence phoronix is now scraping up bits of 'circumstantial evidence' to 'prove' it was right all along. How sad.

Comment

Shall we address this defensive article on the subject of STEAM for linux
            I believe it has been STEAM (date) coming to linux that has been question NOT whether SOURCE is, they are two completely different things and one is not necessarily dependent on the other

It has been known for a VERY long time that Postal3 is coming to linux and that it is using SOURCE. This has been stated by RWS themselves so Phoronix are just reported with a credible source

Now this article
            and there still being many in disbelief that it's coming to Linux. Well, in fact, a native version of Postal III is still coming to Linux and it's looking like it will be here around May.
            has there? RWS own site say there will be nix.

A Linux version of Postal III was confirmed back in 2008, but with the Steam Linux client / Source Engine on Linux not officially being released yet, some have speculated that Postal III would fail to materialize for Linux. Some have failed to believe my reports that Valve is bringing Steam / Source Engine to Linux, even after a beta version of the Steam Linux client was discovered last summer.
            ORLY, shall we examine the validity:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We have confirmed that Valve's latest and popular titles like Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, and Team Fortress 2 are among the first of the Steam Linux titles, similar to the Mac OS X support. The released Linux client should be available by the end of summer.
            DERP nice confirmation...
            Also summer? that was 6months ago. Sure Valve may slip (every production item has slippages) but nothing from Valve on this
            Phoronix own source was:

which has a passing statement that STEAM coming to linux. No citation was provided. Their tech could have simply been basing it off the existence of: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODIzMA and extrapolated.

I, like any other linux user would love STEAM to come to linux, it would give it some presence and credibility as a target-able platform HOWEVER it was touted as "official" yet no comment from VALVE (infact the only official statement from VALVE was they were no plans... DERP)
            Phoronix may have some insider source saying that STEAM it is coming and all the signs are there HOWEVER how it is being reported is amateurish/tabloid/sensationalist/blogworthy i mean seriously! going back and using a 9month old article as validation when said article is the source of the problems is retarded

For future reference official kinda requires some form of public ally available citation from upstream to make it "official". Phoronix may have been told in confidence or in private because at most you have is a credible source YET it has been peddled as "official". Sure it may be in indication of internal confirmation but if Valve are not in a position to publically make an official statement to then peddle some source as official is just rich especially since ALOT of linux users are dreaming of such things

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              (I loved Postal 2! Sad that it doesn't seem to run anymore on modern distros.)
              That's odd. I had the free multiplayer edition running on my Gentoo installation a few months back.

Comment

It actually made me chuckle seeing your half life and left for dead references, good one haha.

I hope it does come to Linux, since we basically have confirmation - i cannot fricken wait!

Comment

Steam better come to linux! Now nokias pritty much abandoned meego I need some good news.

Comment

Originally posted by meklu View Post
                    That's odd. I had the free multiplayer edition running on my Gentoo installation a few months back.
                    And I had the full version of Postal 2 running on my last Ubuntu install on this system. I believe there were some tricks involved though

Comment

Working...
                    X