Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz and Beryl Future

Phoronix News: Compiz and Beryl Future

Quinn Storm and David Reveman just presented on the future of Composite desktops at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit. Among the items they are planning next for the Compiz/Beryl project are new interfaces for applications, retained rendering interfaces, incrementally replace X11, standard API, and collaboration important. No new name has yet been decided for the merged Compiz and Beryl merge, but the merger should be completed within the next few months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Among the items they are planning next for the Compiz/Beryl project are (...) incrementally replace X11,
    Would someone please explain it to me, what exactly do they plan to replace? I always thougt those composite managers work on top of the Xserver...

Thanks in advance
    puntarenas

Comment

That's right from what I remember... I've heard AIGLX is added functionality on top of X11, and XGL is a replacement of X11 (with added functionality). Compiz/Beryl run on top of these two technologies, so how could this window manager actually replace X11?

Comment

Working...
      X