Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Nouveau Page-Flipping For NV50/Fermi Is Flipped On

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,548

    Default Nouveau Page-Flipping For NV50/Fermi Is Flipped On

    Phoronix: Nouveau Page-Flipping For NV50/Fermi Is Flipped On

    While we are only half-way into the Linux 2.6.38 kernel development cycle with there still being a number of weeks before its formal release, there is already a reason to look forward to the Linux 2.6.39 kernel if you use -- or plan to utilize -- the open-source Nouveau graphics driver for NVIDIA graphics cards. What's there to be excited over is page-flipping being enabled by defaultfor the NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 "Fermi" and GeForce 8/9/100/200/300 "NV50" graphics cards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA5Nw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Good news indeed. Keep up the good work people!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    402

    Default

    I slowly start to believe that the day might actually come when we can rip the damn blob out of our systems, take it into the woods, beat it, burn it, and dance around it naked..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Province of Québec, Canada
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    I slowly start to believe that the day might actually come when we can rip the damn blob out of our systems, take it into the woods, beat it, burn it, and dance around it naked..
    LOL !!!
    BTW nice job !

  5. #5

    Question thread hijack

    Nice, but is there live cd out there to play with all these new Nouveau additions with ease like how the ill fated Kororaa livecd brought easy testing of composited desktops?

    /hijack

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    I slowly start to believe that the day might actually come when we can rip the damn blob out of our systems, take it into the woods, beat it, burn it, and dance around it naked..
    sure as long as you don't expect to get your hands around the cuda portions of the gpu and you can live with 60-70% of the performance.

    But its the sacrifices we all make.

    what we should really hope for is a gpu design model similar to how x86 are. flat compatability and remove the need to a specific driver, in most ways it would be cheaper for the gpu manufacturers as driver overhead is stupidly huge. AMD/ATI is moving that way with dx11, which sort of basically dfines the hardware capability.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    sure as long as you don't expect to get your hands around the cuda portions of the gpu
    Why not? The architecture has been reverse engineered, it's just a matter of writing and debugging the necessary compilers (and possibly expanding Gallium to account for compute capabilities).

    Someone is bound to start working on that, sooner or later.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Why not? The architecture has been reverse engineered, it's just a matter of writing and debugging the necessary compilers (and possibly expanding Gallium to account for compute capabilities).

    Someone is bound to start working on that, sooner or later.
    It started already... http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/clover

    Problem is that it hasn't been finished yet, and progress seems to be sporadic...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •