Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    I'm not really surprised, I never had the illusion that Meego was going anywhere. Kind of hard to compete with the strong presence of Android in the mobile market. It will even be a tough job for Microsoft. As for the future of Qt, I think now is a great opportunity for the Qt dev community to take over control of Qt. Oh wait, what community
    its a bit LOL and a little odd when you find Intel the bulk innovator in OSS today and AMD the new OSS phoronix user darling as the only real members of the Meego consortium , and with Intel publicly defending meego

"It's safe to say we're disappointed with their decision," she said. "But we view MeeGo as more than just an operating system for phones."

"The company has said it views its quest to be in smartphones as a marathon, not a sprint and that it will ultimately be successful in the mobile market."

"You will see a phone with Intel silicon inside this year," Ramirez said Friday. She declined to comment on what operating system the smartphone powered with Intel chips will use."

and nothing so far from AMD that i can find...and yet it's known that AMD do want/need something to help them in the growing ARM mobile space, even if they dont have anything of value to date for use in that massive market yet.

if it wasn't evident to you before it should be now, replace nokia/MS with linux/OSS and you need to find ways to re-enforce you're Ecosystem

"Today, the battle is moving from one of mobile devices to one of mobile ecosystems, and our strengths here are complementary. Ecosystems thrive when they reach scale, when they are fueled by energy and innovation and when they provide benefits and value to each person or company who participates. This is what we are creating; this is our vision; this is the work we are driving from this day forward.

There are other mobile ecosystems. We will disrupt them.

There will be challenges. We will overcome them.

Success requires speed. We will be swift.

Together, we see the opportunity, and we have the will, the resources and the drive to succeed."

indeed not only the current linux/OSS Ecosystem if you consider there is such a thing, stop, remove the blinkers and realise that if you try and find a way to work together collectively 'right now' there's a big chance here to make ARM Linux and app's Ecosystem the new default standard, rather than sit back and let these corporations take that new profit Ecosystem away from you any day now and so loose that core Linux [ARM] ROI

Comment

Sad day

This is a very sad day for Nokia, and even Qt, Linux and Finland. A lot of good open-source ideas and developers are now thrown out with the bathwater. While Nokia has been messing up for years, becoming a Microsoft slave and seeing its stock price crash is rather painful. I don't believe Nokia can set themselves apart with Microsoft's interface, and we all know that most companies that went in bed with Microsoft come out screwed pretty badly. The writing was on the wall though, considering the Microsoft shill that took over as CEO... I don't understand why they didn't put more serious effort behind Linux and Meego instead of years of standing by passively and waiting out where the market was headed. They could have kick-started "Android" before Google, if they had only played their cards right and believed in their own products.

Comment

Basically MeeGo is years too late. Even WebOS is very late. Now Android is dominating after Apple iOS. In order to sell smartphones they need to run something that customers want to buy. One idea would have been Android, but they seem to hate Google more than MS MS windows smart phones are are certainly less interesting than Android, but certainly more interesting than WebOS/MeeGo. So they want just to make money until MeeGo is ready... Most likely MS will pay a part of the development of new phones which Google would not do as they already have got other hardware partners. If they still can not compete against Android then they will have to change soon again the direction. It is really hard to sell MeeGo when there are basically no 3rd party apps compared to iOS/Android/WP7.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Basically MeeGo is years too late. Even WebOS is very late. Now Android is dominating after Apple iOS. In order to sell smartphones they need to run something that customers want to buy. One idea would have been Android, but they seem to hate Google more than MS MS windows smart phones are are certainly less interesting than Android, but certainly more interesting than WebOS/MeeGo. So they want just to make money until MeeGo is ready... Most likely MS will pay a part of the development of new phones which Google would not do as they already have got other hardware partners. If they still can not compete against Android then they will have to change soon again the direction. It is really hard to sell MeeGo when there are basically no 3rd party apps compared to iOS/Android/WP7.
          I wonder if intels prefrence for meego over android is more to do with meego apps taking advantage of their chips rather than being in java and sharing market directly with equaly compatable arm chips. (A scary idea for them)

I would have thought nokia could sell meego. Apps would be ported over fast and they are currently selling sybian which is awful. There's a market for the latest cuting edge OS and people are used to switching phones. Meego could have been sold as the next great thing. It had enough big backing with names like intel, amd and nokia not to mention some geeky, non linux users would have liked its linuxyness as much as us.

It could still shine and on seeing that nokia could switch back to meego, but their scared (and there share holders). Its a new product that could flop and microsoft are probably pay big cash to use their product right now.

Comment

"Then you marketed it wrong"

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Meego, maybe, but they could have perfectly sold Maemo. In any case, there are plenty of apps for Maemo - it's basicly Debian. An N900 runs Quake 3 ffs, why would you complain about lack of apps?

Look at the hardware design for that Windows phone. It's pretty damn pretty. Apart from the Winlogo and the software it's running. Would that thing be running Android, it would have surely gained some market share.

Would it be running Maemo and be marketed properly it could have been a hit and be another player together with iOS and Android, possibly becoming bigger than iOS or Android, or in the long run, both. If they would have.

But they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post
              Meego, maybe, but they could have perfectly sold Maemo. In any case, there are plenty of apps for Maemo - it's basicly Debian. An N900 runs Quake 3 ffs, why would you complain about lack of apps?
              But they didn't.
              Thats a point. I don't see why they abandoned Maemo. It was clearly better than sybian which they had on their smart phones since.
              Then when meego was ready it would have been a more natural upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post
                An N900 runs Quake 3 ffs, why would you complain about lack of apps?
                Yeah, I remember downloading some packages from debian and installing them almost unmodified on my N770. And that was 2005(!).

It's true that desktop applications can't be a real replacement for dedicated smartphone 'apps', but WTH have those nokia guys been doing for the last 6 years??

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I can smell KDE taking care of Qt by forking it if Nokia throws it away.
                  Most likely the KDE team would gladly do just that...and most likely pick up many interested devs if this comes to pass

Comment

interoperability

get used to hearing it as microsoft overtake linux on phones and x86 comes to phones.

IT people everywhere are going to rejoice when they don't have to worry about dicking with a Iphone and windows 7 phonesclients and microsoft servers all seemlessly just work together in harmony.

Comment

I think those users already have got a blackberry already

Comment

Working...
                      X