Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    The rumblings I have been hearing are that Opera might be looking to grab Qt.
    What would Opera gain from that? Especially after transitioning away from Qt to their own drawing.

Comment

• When I first heard of this I tried to remember other companies that have had "strategic partnerships" with m$. All of them seem to have a common element...

Is Nokia walking the path of SGI?

Comment

• Well, its not all doom and gloom for Qt it seems. Qt will still continue to be developed and they are still hiring people.

But I fully agree this was a epic fail for Nokia all due to that idiot Elop and the board that approved this. Especially Jorma Ollila, who I respected for bringing Nokia the great position it had 2006 when he steeped back.

Comment

• They won't kill Qt because that would mean releasing the source code with a BSD license.
          But I think they will slow GREATLY its development, to evade the BSD clause (when Trolltech sold out).

http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php

Should Nokia discontinue the development of the Qt Free Edition under these licenses, then the Foundation has the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license or under other open source licenses. The agreement stays valid in case of a buy-out, a merger or bankruptcy.

Comment

• Originally posted by madjr View Post
            we are not talking about every area they have business. so, being a msft fanboy wont magically make windowsmobilecellphone7 the top phone platform. Right now is at the bottom of the pile with -20% and losing. So for nokia to tie them up like that to a sinking rock is not going to make them float.

I geuss you missed the part where they didn't try very hard on phones before. they are now. Given the capability of MS to achieve sucess, I'd say that the phone scape may change drastically.

Comment

• Originally posted by leif81 View Post
              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Btw, do people here actually care that much about phones? I mean, I still have a 2004 Siemens phone and am happy with it. All I need it to do is make phone calls and put notes in the organizer I never gave a crap about Android, Meego and whatever.
              I thought the same way until i bought an android phone. Now I'd be pretty much lost without it.
              Same here, so count me in. No stupid Winblow$ (because that's what they really mean when they're saying "PC") suites, no DRM crap along with all sorts of artificial restrictions of what I can do with my own goddamn phone. It's also very intuitive to use and even looks extremely sexy. Fuck yeah!

Originally posted by madjr View Post
              dumb move from nokia to tie themselves to the loser platform.

at least they could had done like samsung, which has android phones as their most popular phones ever
              That's right. Pretty much every SAMSUNG I've seen or used before I got my Spica sucked horribly.
              Maybe not hardware-wise, but their programming was definitely screwed up big time - just imagine having to deal with a flip with no external display, which has a nasty habbit of automatically answering calls as soon as you open it and that there's no way in hell you can change that. You end up either answering calls you don't wanna answer or missing calls you don't wanna miss. I systematically crawled the whole menu up and down at least a dozen times just to rule out any PEBKACs and haven't found anything even remotely resembling a way to disable this "feature". What kind of moron designs something like this? I guess only M$ and SAMSUNG.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              I don't have these nazi buttons. Razor does wonders in under 1 minute.
              Teheee. Another one who cracks out these things from the keyboards. Nasty obstacles they are, getting in your way. Better have 2 ctrl keys especially on laptops than these keys.
              It seems we're always on the same page, man. I'm making them into "CF" (see below) keys as they're used in many Compiz Fusion shortcuts.

./⁀/‿͝
              /⁔/

Comment

• Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                I geuss you missed the part where they didn't try very hard on phones before. they are now. Given the capability of MS to achieve sucess, I'd say that the phone scape may change drastically.
                LOL.

I guess you missed Windows CE 6.5.

Oh, and your saying that Microsoft could have dominated the phone market because they weren't trying? What sort of idiotic business can't be bothered to make money?

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Btw, do people here actually care that much about phones? I mean, I still have a 2004 Siemens phone and am happy with it. All I need it to do is make phone calls and put notes in the organizer I never gave a crap about Android, Meego and whatever.
                  Well, smartphones usually have bigger screens than 'dumb' phones, and a virtual qwerty keyboard. So even if you use your phone only for calling/texting/calendar/notes a smartphone can make a world of difference in user experience. I'd hate the idea of getting back to a phone where I'd have to use the number keys 1-9 for text input.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    *Ring-ring*

"Herro? Who dis?
                    -"I LOOOOOOVE your company YEAH!!!!"
                    "Excuse me? Who I talking to?
                    -"Oh yes heeeeLLOOOO. It's Steeeeeve BAAAALLMEEEEEER. Whoohoo!"
                    "..."
                    -"From Microsoft!"
                    "Oh herro! Me crueress CEO from Nokia, yes."
                    -"Oh hi there. We would like to make a strategic bla bla bla"
                    "Bra bra bra"
                    -"So whadaya think?"
                    "Ah, me CEO. Phones sares no good. You Microsoft. Big succesfur company, so business is good!"
                    -"What a great day! We allmost thought Windows Mobile was doomed because of the total not-backwards-compatible rewrite we did 'cus it sucked so bad."
                    "Great day yes. Nokia arr out doing Windows Mobire 7 now from big succesfur company. Must be good. Ba-bye!"

*Facepalm*
                    I don't think finnish people replace "l" with "r" when they speak English. They usually also have very good grammar. Just saying...

Comment

• Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      I don't think finnish people replace "l" with "r" when they speak English. They usually also have very good grammar. Just saying...
                      I thought the new Nokia CEO was Canadian. Don't think they are known to have any difficulties with the English language. Perhaps in the French speaking parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X