Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Default Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Phoronix: Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Here's a pleasant Saturday evening surprise: Debian 6.0 was just released! After being in development for more than two years, the Debian developers have found it's now time to release the Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" operating system. Not only is it Debian 6.0 GNU/Linux to play with, but as previously reported, Debian 6.0 GNU/kFreeBSD is official too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA4Mg

so anyone know what the next release is called? i'd like to get the repo of that whenever its available - i'm sick of being 2+ versions behind everything. i don't care too much about cutting edge but i don't like being outdated either.

on the other hand, does anyone know of a debian based distro with more up-to-date packages, other than ubuntu? preferably a rolling release?

wheezy is the next version

It's the list of characters in the film Toy Story as they appear in the credits

At last. After 2 years .
    When you tipe, debian.org, you'll expecting there's news about this release, yes? but.. give it a try .

Well, I hope they sync it ASAP against www.debian.org.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    on the other hand, does anyone know of a debian based distro with more up-to-date packages, other than ubuntu? preferably a rolling release?
    sounds like you are asking for aptosid, formerly known as sidux.

Yep, same as @schmidtbag
    I used Squeeze for like a month - stable indeed - but the software is too old for me to make for a pleasant experience (kernel 2.6.32 ru kidding me? is it a server or what), shotwell old too, wanted to compile a new one from scratch - doesn't cut it for the libs in the system are too old for the latest version of shotwell, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Yep, same as @schmidtbag
    I used Squeeze for like a month - stable indeed - but the software is too old for me to make for a pleasant experience (kernel 2.6.32 ru kidding me? is it a server or what), shotwell old too, wanted to compile a new one from scratch - doesn't cut it for the libs in the system are too old for the latest version of shotwell, etc etc.
    Yes, it is a server. Who do you think the primary users of debian are?

Quote Originally Posted by yesterday View Post
    Yes, it is a server. Who do you think the primary users of debian are?
    I thought it's primarily targeted towards desktop users.. well I mean I thought both desktop and server have pretty much equal priorities within Debian..

I thought it's primarily targeted towards desktop users.. well I mean I thought both desktop and server have pretty much equal priorities within Debian..
    IMO stability is important for a desktop as well. Sure, there are a few programs I use newer versions of but it's not that hard adding a PPA, installing a .deb or compiling from source.

Debian stable sees widespread use as a webserver and a gateway. People who want to use Debian as desktop generally run testing or unstable.