Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When It Works, Intel Core i5 2500K Graphics On Linux Are Fast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    I'm sure there are lots of meaningless graphs on the net Michael

I'm almost sure this is showing where the performance is relative to other cards. If the red line is on the right does that mean it's the best card benchmarked?

Trying to figure out what the black lines mean though
    I guess this is quantiles at 33% and 66%
    so when the red line is between the two black lines, you can say that's a mid-range hardware
    I think it's quite interesting ! espacially because those quantiles are not stable at all across the different tests
    OpenBenchmarking.org is going to be a great playground for wannabe statisticians !

Comment

Originally posted by xav_19 View Post
      I guess this is quantiles at 33% and 66%
      so when the red line is between the two black lines, you can say that's a mid-range hardware
      I think it's quite interesting ! espacially because those quantiles are not stable at all across the different tests
      OpenBenchmarking.org is going to be a great playground for wannabe statisticians !
      Yes.

There are markers at the 33% and 66% percentiles. That represents (from all the results that Openbencharking.org has - ie: people who are playing with PTS3).

So from that graph, you can immediately say that the system (and software used) is a mid-range system (between the 33% and 66% percentile). You can also see that the system is a poor choice against other hardware in the GLSL based games/benchmarks (nexuiz and lightsmark).

Yes, people wanting stats are going to have a field day .

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I'm sure there are lots of meaningless graphs on the net Michael

I'm almost sure this is showing where the performance is relative to other cards. If the red line is on the right does that mean it's the best card benchmarked?

Trying to figure out what the black lines mean though
        They are 33 & 66 percentile. The shades represent frequency of a particular result (white being more common). It allows a human to easily make a "low/medium/high" judgment really quickly. Since it effectively normalizes the data as well, we can turn around and make some generalizations of a system against the population of systems currently out there.

Yes, a percentile rank of 100 (far right) indicates that it is one of the fastest systems out there for that benchmark.

Comment

How is a barely mid-range card "terrific"? Some of the other cards running mesa beat it handily; the ancient r300 card beats it by a long shot every time.

There are some chipsets under some open source graphics drivers for which I'd call the performance for some games "terrific", but I didn't see any of that come out of the Intel IGP in these tests....

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            How is a barely mid-range card "terrific"? Some of the other cards running mesa beat it handily; the ancient r300 card beats it by a long shot every time.

There are some chipsets under some open source graphics drivers for which I'd call the performance for some games "terrific", but I didn't see any of that come out of the Intel IGP in these tests....
            Historically, integrated graphics have been horrific, and would barely hold up against the lowest of the low discrete cards. In some benchmarks (quake3 based), the system performs faster than some reasonably capable cards with the OSS drivers. With one particular test, vdrift, the system is faster than some of cards with Catalyst drivers.

For something that is effectively given away for free, it's done a pretty good showing.

Further, when looking at the last page, the card sits roughly in the middle for a lot of the results in openbenchmarking.org. Historically, they would all be "Low" performing systems in the bottom 33 percent.

Comment

what about the state of h264 video decoding capability in the linux driver? any word on that?

Comment

WOW! A integrated card side by side with a discrete (hd5450) while the discrete one is using the closed driver!

Comment

AMD, Intel has set the bar. Llano better be good.

Comment

Michael, did the new motherboard have an updated BIOS? If the BIOS did not change, perhaps the model you had was defective.

Comment

Just a reminder to anyone looking to buy

The K series has twice the GPU power of the non-K, in addition to some overclocking and other features. You definitely want that, for the extra $10 or whatever it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X