No announcement yet.

Wayland Looks To Do Multi-Monitor The Right Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way if you want to use you home dir for more as one Distro you get also Problems.

Comment

Doing it the "proper way" on X was Corbin's GSOC project in 2009. Whatever happened to that?

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
        No xinerama though - I prefer running two instances of X. Still, it works like a charm, don't have any issues at all.
        Two instances of X, or one with two discreet screens? I use the latter - the larger primary screen (DISPLAY=:0.0) is my desktop-proper, the smaller second screen (DISPLAY=:0.1) is almost always running a full-screen Windows VM. So while I can't move windows between them, that doesn't matter all that much - copy/paste works fine, and that's all I care about.

The reason I do this, is that having one spanning screen sucks for virtual desktops - if I have something on the second monitor, I don't want it to disappear when I switch desktops on the other.

Comment

I don't understand the problem with r600 listing displays one way or the other.

xrandr takes care of that, or it can be set up in xorg.conf which display is left, which right.

I haven't had any (major) issues with multi-monitor and multi-seat using X and Mesa drivers (r600c and r600g) with xrandr.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
            I run E16 (sometimes play with E17) - that's rather well suited to dual monitors (or more I suppose). No xinerama though - I prefer running two instances of X. Still, it works like a charm, don't have any issues at all.
            How does that work? Do you need two of each input device (mouse,keyboard)?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              xrandr takes care of that, or it can be set up in xorg.conf which display is left, which right.
              Right but some Desktop Manager are Ignoring the --primary Flag (and/or dont save them ) or launch the Apps every time on Display one (in my case DIN > DVI-1 > DVI-0 )

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              I haven't had any (major) issues with multi-monitor and multi-seat using X and Mesa drivers (r600c and r600g) with xrandr.
              xrandr don't save any settings.

Comment

Stupid 1 Min edit limit

So xrandr is useless for configure you system. And to set settings with xorg.conf.d is horrible and not everything is documented.

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                  Right now I have endless problems with X11 and multimonitor. All 3 of my screens are the same size and resolution, both are the same family Fermi chip (470 + 465), and yet there are tons of display driver/X11 bugs.
                  • Xorg spikes to 100% CPU usage after a while, and gradually desktop responsiveness suffers until it is unusable.
                  • Some KDE4 applications will only spawn on one monitor at a time
                  • Some KDE4 localization is only applied on one monitor
                  • Xinerama and all related solutions are deprecated. Deprecated! There's no supported way to run a consistent desktop across GPUs- NONE!
                  • Two monitors are on one card, the third is on another. They're all horizontal of eachother. Sometimes, when moving the mouse between one X Screen (:0.0 and :0.1), the mouse will get "stuck". It will rapidly warp between the two X screens, and you are unable to move it from that edge. The Xorg process spikes and all other drawing halts. The machine has to be rebooted to be usable.
                  The first three are KDE bugs. The last one is a known server bug that you're right, should have been fixed ages ago. As for the fourth bullet, Xinerama is not deprecated; who told you it was?

Comment

Working...
                  X