Switch from fglrx (ati) to radeon (open source) drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch from fglrx (ati) to radeon (open source) drivers

After lots of problems with the fglrx driver from ATI, I'm thinking of trying the open source version. Being somewhat new to Linux (i.e. sorry if this is stupid):

1. How do I uninstall the ATI driver? just rpm erase them?
    2. How do I switch to the open source radeon drivers (for an X1600 card)?

Thanks,
    MD

Originally posted by ocgltd View Post
    After lots of problems with the fglrx driver from ATI, I'm thinking of trying the open source version. Being somewhat new to Linux (i.e. sorry if this is stupid):

1. How do I uninstall the ATI driver? just rpm erase them?
    2. How do I switch to the open source radeon drivers (for an X1600 card)?

Thanks,
    MD
    1. What distribution are you on?

Well, more importantly, there is no open-source driver right now that supports the Radeon X1600 driver. So you are basically limited to using the closed-source fglrx driver.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      1. What distribution are you on?

Well, more importantly, there is no open-source driver right now that supports the Radeon X1600 driver. So you are basically limited to using the closed-source fglrx driver.
      Hi Michael,

I have a mobility X1700; once the open-source driver is released does this mean i can use the open source radeon driver which supports the X1600 with my card? I don't know to much about it all but from my understanding the X1700 (24 pixel pipelines & 8 vertex) is just the X1600 (12 pixel pipelines & 5 vertex) manufactured in 2007. I tried downloading using "git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/avivo/xf86-video-avivo" and i've had no luck; when it comes to it how can i download this?

I'm newish to linux (sorry if any of this sounds stupid)

Thanks,
      Dom

Comment

Originally posted by domzanator View Post
        Hi Michael,

I have a mobility X1700; once the open-source driver is released does this mean i can use the open source radeon driver which supports the X1600 with my card? I don't know to much about it all but from my understanding the X1700 (24 pixel pipelines & 8 vertex) is just the X1600 (12 pixel pipelines & 5 vertex) manufactured in 2007. I tried downloading using "git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/avivo/xf86-video-avivo" and i've had no luck; when it comes to it how can i download this?

I'm newish to linux (sorry if any of this sounds stupid)

Thanks,
        Dom
        Dom,

The open-source R500 driver won't be working for normal desktop usage for a matter of months. After that, you can get and use it from git and it will be included in the new distributions at that time.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X