AMD Releases Cayman Documentation, Open Driver Is Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe. I know why I stick with AMD-ATI.

I know it is not perfect and there are some open building sites, and yes, a few features are missing still but these are often the patent/DMCA issues.
    And with AMD & intel (minus ImgTec) we have a situation in the GPU area that has never been so good before on the Linux/BSD side.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

edit took longer than 1 minute to write, goddamn, Michael fix it plz
      And yes, 8 years ago I would have used nvidia. But things change, and sometimes they change for the better. My old nvidia cards are loooooong "legacy" not supported by anyting corretly and nouveau just starts to get into the shoes. (Kotau to the nouveau devs but I have these old geforces for so many years now and they still would not really work. So I am glad to have ATI GPUs to my AMD CPUs (that I nearly always had).)

Still I would welcome any other GPU vendors (nv, via/s3, ImgTec,...) if they would open up.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I'm glad to see ATI's open-source support is getting stronger. However, on my Intel+ATI thinkpad, I still prefer to disable ATI HD3400, as its power management still cannot silent my fan even I didn't do nothing. Anyway, I like gallium3d. After r600g is enabled by default in mesa 7.xx, I will definitely switch back to ATI.

Comment

Thanks for delivering, AMD

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            this s3tc patented stuff hurt opensource much more they ever can to for OS with this tool and the MIT license-
            Agreed. I wrote my own program to use a driver's stack for compressing a texture to s3tc (the theory being there was no sense in using other tools if the driver itself couldn't support it).
            I really hope that when the open source drivers are far enough along to use full OpenGL 3.x/4x, that there'll be additional pressure from AMD to get some of the problems such as s3tc sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
              Agreed. I wrote my own program to use a driver's stack for compressing a texture to s3tc (the theory being there was no sense in using other tools if the driver itself couldn't support it).
              I really hope that when the open source drivers are far enough along to use full OpenGL 3.x/4x, that there'll be additional pressure from AMD to get some of the problems such as s3tc sorted.

S3TC is a requirement for higher OpenGL versions, no?

Comment

Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
                S3TC is a requirement for higher OpenGL versions, no?
                No, it's not, but floating-point render targets are.

Comment

OpenGL3/4 is an absolute no go for opensource drivers...

in the same way .mp3 h.246 etc is

Comment

Do you see Red Hat and Xorg developing mp3 and h264? Didn't think so

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                      Do you see Red Hat and Xorg developing mp3 and h264? Didn't think so
                      what i am trying to say is that the patent isn't what stops the OS drivers from having these features

Comment

Working...
                      X