No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Cayman Documentation, Open Driver Is Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Now at this speed - this is definately an IMPROVEMENT over past.

If we could push video accel and maybe multimonitor (without features exposed to nvidia copypasters) this would be serious support from company!

Thank you AMD!

I hope you pick your documentation well, so nvidia does not profit!
    In the end if opensource driver will be not perfect, but very good - it will be very serious threat against nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      what i am trying to say is that the patent isn't what stops the OS drivers from having these features
      What I'm trying to say is that the patent will stop the drivers from having these features, because no company or well-known open source organization is going to work on implementing patented software.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        OpenGL3/4 is an absolute no go for opensource drivers...

Originally they named it ClosedGL.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
          What I'm trying to say is that the patent will stop the drivers from having these features, because no company or well-known open source organization is going to work on implementing patented software.
          Unless someone will reverse the patent itself the way GPL reverses copyright. Prohibiting usage of algorithm belonging to them within closed source environment via their EULA.

GNU Public Patent (GPP)

Im going to patent that abbreviation tomorrow =).

No seriously, it would be SO much better.

Comment

Originally posted by nikai View Post
            From my perspective it's not entirely that black and white.

Granted, in the last two decades I've never owned any Nvidia GPU exactly because they refuse to support open source drivers. But this doesn't mean that Nvidia wouldn't support open source in other areas.

Why is it that using ATI/AMD cards and Linux I have to use Nvidia's texture tools to compress S3TC textures? Because these texture tools are MIT-licensed open source, while ATI/AMD's ATI_Compress library and Compressonator are closed source, and worse, they're Windows only.
            Well, a tool is a tool. A driver and its documentation are a bit different.

Comment

Well AMD, I am pleased for the speed for this new chunk of documentation. I can say I am all yours
              One thing what bothers me, is why do you prefer to implement Caymans first, instead of Liano. No one with Cayman, as a highest end GPU from AMD, is gonna use r600g driver. No one would pay >$300, and use it as a GPU for <$100. Now this work will probably land in 2.6.39, which would be the kernel when Liano start showing on the market. I am headed towards Liano, after a couple of months, and this is somewhat disappointing. Bridgman, feedback appreciated.

Comment

S3TC and r600

It's not the former topic, but about S3TC : what is the needed work to have libtxc-dxtn handled by r600 ? Because, it's sad, I know r600g can run commercial game (eg. ETQW which I have tested) but is totally useless without S3TC... I'm ready to pay for that !

Michael, could you do an investigation on S3TC and r600 support ?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                  It's not the former topic, but about S3TC : what is the needed work to have libtxc-dxtn handled by r600 ? Because, it's sad, I know r600g can run commercial game (eg. ETQW which I have tested) but is totally useless without S3TC... I'm ready to pay for that !

Michael, could you do an investigation on S3TC and r600 support ?
                  +1
                  With everything now working, S3TC is becoming pin in the *ss.
                  May be there should be campain with donations, exactly for this feature. I am willing to pay also.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Well AMD, I am pleased for the speed for this new chunk of documentation. I can say I am all yours
                    One thing what bothers me, is why do you prefer to implement Caymans first, instead of Liano. No one with Cayman, as a highest end GPU from AMD, is gonna use r600g driver. No one would pay >$300, and use it as a GPU for <$100. Now this work will probably land in 2.6.39, which would be the kernel when Liano start showing on the market. I am headed towards Liano, after a couple of months, and this is somewhat disappointing. Bridgman, feedback appreciated.
                    I think Llano will use hd5xxx. It would be easy to adapt current r600 driver. Llano will also ship in Q3 2011 AFAIK, so there's time to work on.

Comment

Nice to see that AMDs streamcomputing/GPGPU people are still keeping the documentation dream alive.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X