Trying to test r300+radeon GIT, but only see a black screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a_villacis View Post
    What procedure did you use to compile? Did you use the Xorg server from your distro and just replaced the libraries, or did you compile everything from scratch? I had to compile everything from scratch because my distro supplied Xorg is version 7.1 . When I use all released packages, the ati driver works flawlessly (but without any 3-D acceleration). Apparently the git version of the ati driver requires 7.3 or current git of xorg-server . I tried compiling current git of the ati driver with xorg 7.2 (1.2.0) but I had the black-screen symptom. I thought it would dissapear if I used the git version of xorg-server, but no such luck.
    The radeon driver does not include DRI, as far as I know. You'll have to compile Mesa3d for that.

As for the X server, I don't know I compiled the whole X.org from that git repository about a month ago and got 7.1.99.<something> with a release date of december 2005. Maybe the version from git isn't cleaned up? (but it may be up to date now).

There is an announcement on wiki.x.org:
    Development snapshots are currently on hiatus. Most modules now update slowly enough that frequent snapshots aren't needed. The server itself is still quite volatile; snapshots of it will probably resume shortly.
    but it's not dated.

Why do you want to compile from git anyway? Is there some specific feature that you want, or do you just want to have the latest and (not so) greatest? Keep in mind that developers may not account for changes in the development version, and you'll end up with "bleeding edge" that breaks things..

Comment

Originally posted by a_villacis View Post
      What procedure did you use to compile? Did you use the Xorg server from your distro and just replaced the libraries, or did you compile everything from scratch? I had to compile everything from scratch because my distro supplied Xorg is version 7.1 . When I use all released packages, the ati driver works flawlessly (but without any 3-D acceleration). Apparently the git version of the ati driver requires 7.3 or current git of xorg-server . I tried compiling current git of the ati driver with xorg 7.2 (1.2.0) but I had the black-screen symptom. I thought it would dissapear if I used the git version of xorg-server, but no such luck.
      I've been using Xorg 7.2, which came with Feisty. I pulled the latest code for xf86-video-ati, xf86driproto, fontsproto, and macros. Not sure the exact order I built them in, but xf86-video-ati was clearly the last. Then drm and mesa from git. So the current git version of the ati driver doesn't seem to require 7.3. 7.2 is just fine, though I do imagine that 7.1 is too old.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
        The radeon driver does not include DRI, as far as I know. You'll have to compile Mesa3d for that.
        Yes, I know that. I compiled the latest Mesa3d from git along with xorg-server and the ati driver.

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
        Why do you want to compile from git anyway? Is there some specific feature that you want, or do you just want to have the latest and (not so) greatest? Keep in mind that developers may not account for changes in the development version, and you'll end up with "bleeding edge" that breaks things..
        The latest stable version of the ati driver disables DRI on purpose:

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering broken on XPRESS 200 and 200M

The "specific feature" I want to test is the accelerated OpenGL. I need the git version because there is no stable version of the ati driver that will enable DRI on my machine. But the problem is that I cannot even get around to test a simple glxgears, because of the black screen problem. I know I am playing with the "bleeding edge" in OpenGL support, but the problem I have seems like some stupid mistake I made with either the compile or the xorg.conf file. Or this might be a genuine bug that shows up in my setup (I am suspecting something around MergedFB). I am still trying to find out which one is it.

Just in case, xorg-server 7.2 with stable ati driver (compiled from sources) works correctly on my machine, but with accelerated OpenGL disabled. xorg-server-7.2 with ati from git shows the black screen. xorg-server from git with ati from git also exhibits the black screen.

Comment

I assume that you want AIGLX for beryl. You can use fglrx and Xgl (which is probably included in fedora) for the same effect (and probably better performance).

all I get is a black screen. My monitor seems to shut down (the green LED beside the power button turns orange and blinks) and I see nothing on my screen. In addition, the keyboard is unresponsive and therefore Ctrl-Alt-Backspace seems to have no effect.
          If the logs you posted are in order, then X crashes without taking the driver with it OR it doesn't restore your display. In any case, X crashes (too soon) so ctrl-alt-backspace won't do you any good. If you're not running xdm or similar, and return to the console, it should still work, even though you're not seeing it (this used to happed a lot with fglrx)

Comment

Working...
          X