Notes on Acer Aspire One 522

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jason.s View Post
    I was able to get the video working at the right resolution by installing the proprietary driver that it recommended after I installed ubuntu
    Which version have you installed?

Comment

I had installed the proprietary fglrx driver that's seen in System > Administrative > Additional Drivers. This left a watermark in the bottom right of the screen, so I followed the steps I saw somewhere (do not remember where) that said to download the latest catalyst driver, extract it, and copy the config file from the extracted catalyst driver to /etc/ati/config. So, that's what I did. When I did it, the watermark was gone.

I started having a lot of issues with freezing then though, so I re-installed ubuntu at that point and started running it with the watermark stlil on. (in other words, with the only change being the Additional Drivers proprietary fglrx driver). I found that I started getting freezes still with this, but it seems like the freezes are directly tied to if I am running on battery power. If I am on battery, it's almost unusable, and if I am plugged in, I don't seem to experience them. I do not know where to look to see why this is happening.

Comment

Ok my bad, I meant which version of Ubuntu

Comment

Maybe better install Kanotix Hellfire, my install-fglrx-debian.sh script fetches the latest fglrx driver. Waiting for the next one btw...

Comment

My bad.... Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit. I had tried 32 with the same problems though.

Right now though, the issue seems to be more the constant freezing when on battery power. i am not sure if that's related to the video drivers or not.

Comment

Since the platform is recent you'd be better off with something featuring a more recent kernel.
              Kanotix might be a good suggestion, though since it's Kano's distribution I don't know how objective he is
              If you feel more adventurous you might try Ubuntu's daily image.

Comment

Originally posted by areichel View Post
                I've got the Aspire One 522 without Windows 7 and without bluetooth, but with an ram upgrade (2GByte) for 250 EUR, which is a fair price.
                Wow did I get that right? NO windows tax?
                How?!?!

Comment

@PsynoKhi0

You can always come to irc://irc.freenode.net/#kanotix and get latest infos about Kanotix. I am definitely sure that what we currently develop will be something very interesting for binary 3d driver users. But if you really love U 10.10 you can use my script there too. It is tested up to kernel 2.6.38:

I made it even more easy to install as when you always have to reboot because of active kms driver you just need to do:

sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh

which is also allowed to execute inside x. You can force older drivers with -v VER option like:

sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -v 10-7

or whatever you like to try. I usally enable all kernel compat patches for older drivers too, but tested iso only the current one. When a fglrx driver is found you can only execute the script from a vt1, but as it often crashes from switching from one driver to the next you may want to use -z option (does not kill x) and reboot in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    How?!?!
                    Of course no windows tax! I've bought it in Thailand where you can get a lot of bare hardware without software bundles. Also VAT is 7% only. They even put in the RAM module; good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                      How?!?!
                      By the way: it has bluetooth as I found out, but the hardware needs special firmware and driver which I could not load yet. Will update you soon.

Any progress on the wired network problem or audio?

Comment

Working...
                      X