Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    i saw aptosid but it doesn't have any new packages. they're still all out of date. it added a few more packages that i didn't have before but its still "sid" based.
    Aptosid's a rolling release, pretty as much cutting edge as Debian can be AFAIK.
    What's your definition of out of date?

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      Aptosid's a rolling release, pretty as much cutting edge as Debian can be AFAIK.
      Before I get spanked: "pretty much as cutting edge as Debian can be without too much elbow grease"

Comment

Originally posted by sc4bbk View Post
        Linux Mint Debian?
        thats 32 bit only, i'm using 64 bit right now.

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil
        What packages are you requiring, exactly? Have you looked at the Experimental branch?
        If it's multimedia-related, check out the Debian Multimedia repos.
        i'm using experimental and theres very few packages in it, and half of the ones i want to use in it (such as future kernels) don't even install. i've been using squeeze, unstable, and testing repos as well.
        debian isn't so much missing programs, its just most of the stuff is out of date. for example, kde is STILL stuck at 4.4, when theres already 4.6.

the annoying part is the debian devs are holding back stability updates, kde 4.5 and 4.6 were mainly just bugfixes, so by them telling us when THEY find it stable, its really just counterproductive.

you know what the real irony is? i just updated debian today and it broke xorg - it won't even let me install it anymore! how do you call a distro stable when it does this crap? this isn't the first time this happened to me. i'd be switching to arch right now if i could log into the 1 computer i have that uses a cd burner. i'm really just tired of the decisions the debian devs make.

Comment

I'm getting a trolling vibe for some strange reason....

Comment

@schmidtbag - if Debian unstable is still too old for you, then go for Arch Linux. It as current as you can get without compiling.

Comment

so anyone know what the next release is called? i'd like to get the repo of that whenever its available - i'm sick of being 2+ versions behind everything. i don't care too much about cutting edge but i don't like being outdated either.

on the other hand, does anyone know of a debian based distro with more up-to-date packages, other than ubuntu? preferably a rolling release?
              I don't know of any, but why does it need to be Debian based? Why not just go with Arch or Gentoo if you want a cutting edge rolling release distro?
              If you want to go way overboard on the bleeding edge stuff, try Fedora Rawhide. That's a bit too bleeding edge for me though.

Comment

i'd be switching to arch right now if i could log into the 1 computer i have that uses a cd burner. i'm really just tired of the decisions the debian devs make.
                Can you boot off a USB drive? Use unetbootin to "burn" the Arch iso onto a usb drive.

Comment

well, i've thought about booting from a live cd too but i also want to actually boot up into my graphical interface because i need to remember which packages i have installed.

what makes me the most uncomfortable about switching to arch is reconfiguring everything that ISN'T in my home folder such as samba, synaptic, and some of kde. copying the files isn't really the problem, its finding all of them and remembering what else i'm missing.

Comment

FWIW, kde 4.6 is in the pipe to be uploaded to sid, and your fresh xorg problem could be avoided if you either knew what you were doing, or used a sid-based distro like aptosid that gives people some assistance for typical sid troubles with update and migration warnings.

Comment

@schmidtbag Synaptic? In arch you won't be needing synaptic. If you want to backup configuration files that are not in home, can't you just backup the whole /etc directory? It's still a PITA though, but well worth the effort...

Comment

Working...
                      X