Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility of adding SPECViewPerf scores to future graphics tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility of adding SPECViewPerf scores to future graphics tests?

First off, great site. I've only just stumbled across it, and as a long time Linux user (getting on 11 years now) it's nice to see a site full of benchmarks that aren't 3DMark on a Windows box.

I'm generally in the workstation game, and my interests lie more in "real work" than gaming. I know benchmarking systems is long and tiring work, but is there a chance of adding SPECViewPerf scores to the list? Seeing pages of Unreal Tournament and Quake benchmarks gives me a general idea of performance, but these are typically throughput limited software that are light on geometry, compared to professional 3D work which is usually geometry heavy.

Internally I've been benchmarking workstations myself with SPECViewPerf. It's my standard tool for working out dollars-to-grunt ratio, especially back in the dark ages when you needed to justify a $3000 Quadro card as opposed to a $300 GeForce card to your boss.

Anyways... if it's too time consuming, that's cool. There's a lot of folks turning to Linux for 3D workstation use (Maya, XSI, Houdini, Flame, etc all have Linux ports these days), and that sort of info would be great for them if you could squeeze it in.

Welcome to the forums and Phoronix, I hope you enjoy your stay.

SPECViewPerf is used in some Phoronix graphics articles. It's not used in all of our articles, but there is a number of different articles where its used and it will continue to be used.

We will evaluate your request to include more SPECViewPerf benchmarks next time we revise our benchmarking process.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Cheers for the reply.

As mentioned, I know it's a lot of extra work (SPECViewPerf is certainly not a short benchmark), so I appreciate the fact that you're looking into it.

I've just found this article:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it's packed full of juicy info. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X