No announcement yet.

A Major Open-Source ATI Linux Driver Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only real problem of R600g/c is the lack of S3TC. It will take a while before it will be solved.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      The only real problem of R600g/c is the lack of S3TC. It will take a while before it will be solved.
      Thanks for the tip, a bit of googleing also gave me http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonProgram which also added some confiance.

I'll probably be getting an ATI graphics card for me new Linux box then (never thought I'd say that one day )

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        What you mean by Drift, Vdrift? I didn't test that, I only ran openarena and doom3 benchmarks and page-flipping brings no difference there.
        You are running 2.6.38 and have the relevant options set in xorg.conf, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
          I'd be manly coding but I do like to game from time to time (the most demanding games being SC2/WoW under wine).

Does any one have any experience with this / any tips on choosing my setup.

TIA

David
          WoW does not work on r600g, and I'm guessing SC2 doesn't either.
          If you run WoW in OpenGL mode on r600g, it will look like the textures are stitched together oddly and it will crash within a minute of getting into the game.
          DirectX mode doesn't crash, but it has a lot more rendering errors to the point where it's not playable.

I think r600c ran WoW in DirectX mode fairly well at one point. It crashed like once every 30 minutes IIRC. I'll have to try it out again. OpenGL mode on r600c was the same situation as on r600g.

The closed source fglrx driver does run WoW pretty well. So I guess you can't go wrong buying an AMD card.

Comment

SC2 is certified platinum on the RadeonProgram matrix. I haven't tried it myself.

Comment

What you mean by Drift, Vdrift?
              Yes, that is what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                SC2 is certified platinum on the RadeonProgram matrix. I haven't tried it myself.
                I don't have SC2, so I just assumed that since it's a Blizzard game newer than WoW it'd work less.

Just looked at the RadeonProgram matrix and WoW has a silver rating and SC2 does have a platinum. That's kind of odd.

Comment

If you are going to make bold claims like that, you are going to have to back them up with evidence (i.e. benchmarks). With my own testing I could not find that page-flipping made a difference in fps.
                  Depends on the applications and if you're doing something like Compiz. For some applications, it'll bring a good boost in performance. For others, not so much so (as you found in your testing...).

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                    I don't have SC2, so I just assumed that since it's a Blizzard game newer than WoW it'd work less.

Just looked at the RadeonProgram matrix and WoW has a silver rating and SC2 does have a platinum. That's kind of odd.
                    Why is it odd? It's a different engine or a differing version of the same engine using differing features. Just because it's from the same company doesn't mean that they're going to use the same problematic code everywhere unless it's exactly the same engine (Heh... KoTOR and KoTOR II's a good example of this... Quite a few mis-uses of the OpenGL API there... >:-D)

Comment

For the Radeon HD 6000 series only up to the 6870 models are supported, correct?
                      Has AMD mentioned any updates regarding the 6900 models yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X