GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bitu-derr View Post
    FYI, tried posting this earlier, but for anyone who is interested and likes the Gnome 2 experience, there is at least one fork of Gnome 2 now, it is called EXDE, I am not sure how active it is. It seems to have only been started this past January.

The website has a FAQ, a roadmap, et al:
    This website is for sale! exde.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, exde.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I'm not involved with EXDE, I just would like to see some semblance of my current UI maintained, whatever the most fruitful path for that outcome may be.
    Use gnome-fallback.session
    It's the "old" panel system and menu written in gtk3, as I understand it. Haven't tried it personally. My asus Aspire One netbook runs gnome-shell wonderfully (running Fed15 from alpha with updates).
    The Clutter team has made massive improvements with regards to performance and more should be on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
      The more I read of this thread the more I realize... they're right.
      We need to force users to suspend. It's the only way to make driver developers care.
      after two lockups and no way to turn suspend off the new user will happily go back to windows and tell everybody how much linux sucks.

Thanks to gnome-devs and their brain dead ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        after two lockups and no way to turn suspend off the new user will happily go back to windows and tell everybody how much linux sucks.

Thanks to gnome-devs and their brain dead ideas.
        I don't think anyone but devs and advanced geeks will try to install 3.0 before their distro picks it up in the repos where this will most likely be fixed in one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
          I don't think anyone but devs and advanced geeks will try to install 3.0 before their distro picks it up in the repos where this will most likely be fixed in one way or another.
          Suspend and hibernate are still a bit problematic in general. Sometimes they work perfectly, and sometimes they don't, especially if binary drivers are being used. In my own experience I'm using the OSS Radeon drivers in openSUSE 11.4 and both suspend and hibernate work flawlessly. My cousin is using the nvidia binary drivers on Ubuntu 10.10 and hibernation works 1 out of 5 times or less. I believe this isn't something that can be easily fixed by distros, but maybe you're right and it's for the best that suspend is the default behaviour. Let's see how that turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Suspend and hibernate are still a bit problematic in general. Sometimes they work perfectly, and sometimes they don't, especially if binary drivers are being used. In my own experience I'm using the OSS Radeon drivers in openSUSE 11.4 and both suspend and hibernate work flawlessly. My cousin is using the nvidia binary drivers on Ubuntu 10.10 and hibernation works 1 out of 5 times or less. I believe this isn't something that can be easily fixed by distros, but maybe you're right and it's for the best that suspend is the default behaviour. Let's see how that turns out.
            I didn't really mean distros would fix all the suspend/hibernate stuff, that comes along with the devs who will now start to use them. Most likely they will hack in a config option somewhere to enable/disable suspend when you close the lid.

I know it's a different scenario, but Chrome OS has done this all along and I haven't heard too many complaints from users, unofficial builds included. It seems to "just work" with 100% success rate on every laptop I've tested so far. This makes me think it's just a matter of updating any configs and/or blacklists to include a wider range of hardware.

Comment

I've always avoided using sleep due to issues in the past. But i tried activating sleep a number of times on opensuse 11.4 with catalyst drivers and broadcom wl drivers and there was no issues and it was fast. Now made it the default when I push the power button on my laptop.

Comment

Working...
              X