GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the carrots cry

Gnome 3 is shaping up to be a real joke. Let's wait and see what other brilliant ideas the team churns out before the final release.

Comment

I think that is the final straw for me

Thats it, I am back to KDE.

Comment

But on the other hand there is a option to change it so whats the problem, to user-infriendly? yes maybe but don?t make a to big thing of it
        The viewpoint of more options for the user being "user unfriendly" accurately sums up the state of Gnome.

Comment

Damn, I hate it when they try to push their own ideas or preferences to others. If they have a certain point of view (that suspending would be better than blanking the screen), just make it default but at least leave the option to change it in a user-friendly manner.

Gnome has always been the DE of my choice and there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to in Gnome 3, but just don't do this. Linux is all about choice, don't forget that.

For me personally it won't bother me too much since I'm firing up gconf-settings every time right-away after a fresh installation to change some visual stuff and hide things from the desktop etc, but think about average users.

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
            It's too glassy/glossy. It's slow with effects on. I am using FOSS radeon driver on ATI 4650 .37 kernel, and it's terribly slow. They are overdoing it with the K. The menu is useless. The plasmoids and the widgets and stuff like that are simply too MUCH! I am a coder and as much as I like the DE to be minimal, I don't want poor file managers and I want some advanced eye-candy. I use Gnome since the first day KDE4 came out and I'm satisfied. Themes look good, it's simple and beautiful. Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
            I hear ya and have been suffering from the same slowness in KDE. I hate waiting for my computer.

The key tweak for me to cope with KDE is to go to Style->Fine tuning and set "High display resolution and low CPU" even though I have a fairly fast dual-core CPU in my laptop. The low CPU thing turns off annoying mouse-over animations in Dolphin and such and makes the GUI much more responsive on this machine (also with an ATI card). The K menu can be easily toggled to a classic menu layout for that matter.

I've been switching back and forth between Gnome 2, Gnome 3 and KDE for some time now and while I think that Gnome is more elegant, have more reasonable defaults and better configuration utilities, I miss the power of many KDE applications while away from that DE. Apps like Kwin, Kate, Dolphin, Kmail and Okular are excellent and IMHO better than their Gnome siblings.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
              ...I miss the power of many KDE applications while away from that DE. Apps like Kwin, Kate, Dolphin, Kmail and Okular are excellent and IMHO better than their Gnome siblings.
              Yeah, dolphin is way better than Nautilus. How can they omit history in the address bar in Nautilus i can never comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
                I hear ya and have been suffering from the same slowness in KDE. I hate waiting for my computer.

The key tweak for me to cope with KDE is to go to Style->Fine tuning and set "High display resolution and low CPU" even though I have a fairly fast dual-core CPU in my laptop. The low CPU thing turns off annoying mouse-over animations in Dolphin and such and makes the GUI much more responsive on this machine (also with an ATI card). The K menu can be easily toggled to a classic menu layout for that matter.
                Well then. Blame ATI for their non-existent support for Linux. I have a crappy Pentium dual core laptop with intel GMA X4500 graphics and KDE4 couldn't be smoother. I actually installed Xubuntu at first thinking KDE4 will be too much for the crappy "video card". But then I gave KDE4 a chance and never looked back.

Comment

Cant get more than 30 fps on sauer on KDE for some reason, games performance on KDE was the main reason i couldnt use it. Gnome with or without a load of compiz owned it

Comment

Gnome, the Linux joke.

Comment

I've used Gnome as my primary desktop for far longer than it's been reasonable to do so (started switching from Afterstep in '98 or so, building pre-1.0 releases). I've dabbled with other environments, particularly KDE, but kept coming back to Gnome.

But: if I end up stuck with a desktop environment that doesn't permit me to manually override whatever suspend behavior the authors think is correct, I'm done. A gconf toggle will be a passable option, but be damned if that won't be inconvenient.

I really don't care about their long-term vision of the whole stack cooperating at this point; I used to be fine with hacking away at my environment for weeks to get things set up just the way I want them, but that time has passed. Today, I just need to get work done, in the least inconvenient way possible.

Suspend is a very sore point for most people, for good reason; I sincerely hope they don't screw this up.

Comment

Working...
                      X