Choosing a Dell Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Dell Laptop

Having decided to put my money where my mouth is, I'm currently choosing options on a Dell Inspiron laptop with ubuntu installed.

My question is this: Dell offer two graphics options, either the intel GMA 950 or the nvidia Go 7300, and I'm not sure which to choose. The nvidia option carries a $79 premium.

Given that this laptop will be used for mainly office tasks with beryl/compiz active, does the nv chipset offer any real advantages?

Thanks for any and all advice.

The NVIDIA option will provide slightly better performance... Though if you're just doing desktop office tasks with Beryl/Compiz you should be able to get by fine with the Intel GMA 950.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply. Seems like an easy decision, proper open source drivers too!

Comment

Indeed. Just don't expect the GMA950 to do a lot of fancy things- the machine doesn't have vertex processing on the GPU, relying on the CPU to do that sort of work, which it doesn't do anywhere near as well.

Comment

If you want to play games go Nvidia I have used laptops with the 950 and Penguin Racer is as hard core as you can get even with a dual core and a gig of ram.

Comment

nvdia is good i gues

Comment

Bit late...

Originally posted by jamesblunt2000 View Post
              nvdia is good i gues
              Reply is a little late is it not? 4 years?

Comment

haha i didnt notice the date just post and leave the page

Comment

Working...
                X