Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Version Of VIA DRM TTM/GEM Patches

Phoronix: New Version Of VIA DRM TTM/GEM Patches

Thanks to James Simmons, an independent developer in the open-source community, last month a patch was published that adds TTM/GEM memory management support to the VIA DRM Linux kernel driver. This was after VIA basically admitted defeat for their Linux / open-source strategy. Over the weekend the second version of this TTM/GEM patch was published by James...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That Simmons guy is awesome!
    Good news for my K8M800!

Comment

Oh please. Not so much movement at once after so many years of ... slowness. My brain can't deal with that.
      But nice to see that there can be progress even without VIA's active involvement (that never really was).
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Oh please. Not so much movement at once after so many years of ... slowness. My brain can't deal with that.
        But nice to see that there can be progress even without VIA's active involvement (that never really was).
        I think actually, the last "try to help" of VIA slowed it a bit more, because everyone was waiting to see some code release or something and nobody wants ANOTHER duplicated effort, like maintaining two or three drivers. I mean, why would someone (Simmons for example) start coding TTM/GEM and KMS if VIA said it was already working on it (and IIRC, they did, but they "forgot" to release a free driver which actually used it).

Comment

Awesome that something like this can happen.

Comment

Working...
          X