Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest 11.2 freezes my computer when display goes to sleep (Radeon HD 5830)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have this problem with latest 11.2 (not 11.1) drivers on Ubuntu Maverick. My laptop (Dell Studio 1558 with Mobility Radeon 5470) is configured to not do anything when the lid is closed - I am used to lock my screen and close the lid when going away, close the lid while I'm downloading something, etc.

Upon locking the screen (starting the screensaver) and closing the lid, after about half a minute the system fan speeds up, indicating a heavy load, and after opening the lid, the screen does not turn back on.

Logging in through ssh shows Xorg on 100% CPU load, and what's even more interesting, killing -9 it doesn't seem to work, I mean, the process stays and continues to steal one CPU core. Only a reboot restores the system back to normal.

Tweaks with acpid, atieventsd and similar things didn't have any effect. I had to downgrade to 10.12, which is a pity, because 11.x's tearfree option works like a charm (finally!).

Maverick has somewhat broken power management overall, so maybe that's not entirely the drivers' fault. Anyway, I hope that 11.3 and/or Natty will finally bring really good, tear- and bugfree graphics experience to Ubuntu users with ATI/AMD cards.

Comment

I've narrowed down the problem in my laptop. Disabling screensaver seems to fix this problem. Id don't know whos culprit (fglrx, screensaver or power management), but this used to work until 11.1, and now doesn't.

So now I have to lock the screen myself using Ctrl+Alt+L.

Hope this is fixed sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by infinito View Post
        Id don't know whos culprit (fglrx, screensaver or power management)
        If you are running Compiz (OpenGL compositing manager), then you have to add it to your list. I'm running Natty with Classic Desktop on my box and Compiz crashes often. This on Xorg Radeon drivers.

And the screensaver is acting weird, like taking 30 to 60 seconds to react when I move the mouse or pressing a key. The display immediately turns on, but I have a black screen with working mouse pointer... And when the screensaver exits, I'll have to minimize and restore the active program in order to get working menus.

Comment

Originally posted by Smask View Post
          If you are running Compiz (OpenGL compositing manager), then you have to add it to your list. I'm running Natty with Classic Desktop on my box and Compiz crashes often. This on Xorg Radeon drivers.

And the screensaver is acting weird, like taking 30 to 60 seconds to react when I move the mouse or pressing a key. The display immediately turns on, but I have a black screen with working mouse pointer... And when the screensaver exits, I'll have to minimize and restore the active program in order to get working menus.
          Yep, I've forgot about Compiz. Will try later to see if disabling it fixes the problem...

Comment

I had the same problem. After gnome-screensaver startet, Xorg used 100% of CPU. I just uninstalled gnome-screensaver and replaced it with xscreensaver - did not have a hang since that.

I read the same in other threads. Also the ubuntu wiki has a note about gnome-screensaver and new fglrx version.

Just found a german version, where this was written.

Comment

@infinito Still no luck? The latest 11.2 catalyst has given me a stable system in regards to hibernation/suspend/screensaver.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                @infinito Still no luck? The latest 11.2 catalyst has given me a stable system in regards to hibernation/suspend/screensaver.
                Nope, with 11.2 I've got the same behaviour, gnome-screensaver makes Xorg eats 100% CPU. Luckily, xscreensaver works well.

Anyway, somebody at AMD should take a look at this, because before 11.1 this didn't happened.

Comment

Originally posted by infinito View Post
                  Nope, with 11.2 I've got the same behaviour, gnome-screensaver makes Xorg eats 100% CPU. Luckily, xscreensaver works well.

Anyway, somebody at AMD should take a look at this, because before 11.1 this didn't happened.
                  Have you reported it in http://ati.cchtml.com yet?

Comment

This seems to be fixed on 11.3. Can anyone else confirm?

Comment

Working...
                    X