ATI 8.37.6 causes flicker during video playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 8.37.6 causes flicker during video playback

I'm running the current ATI proprietary driver 8.37.6 on FC6 (2.6.20) for my ATI X1600. The prop drivers seem to load ok (no EE in the xorg.0.log), and dvd playback seems smooth. However, I have s strange flicker.

While watching a video stream, it appears like a frame from 1/2 second ago gets repeated every second. Strange effect! First question - anyone know what this is?

Second question, to diagnose the problem I ran fglrxinfo and saw that the mesa driver is used for OpenGL. COuld this be a factor? I'm only worried about dvd/tv playback...

Thanks,
    Michelle

Michelle,

Video playback in fglrx 8.36 and 8.37 has been problematic for many users. Are you able to downgrade to 8.35 and see if the problem persists for you?

Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I solved it (or at least worked around it). Apparently the flicker and a blue tint are known problems of the ATI driver. Myth (the player I'm using) has a patch which compensates for the both the tint and the flicker. Seems to work - so I can stay with the later driver. Thanks for the help!!

Comment

I spoke to fast The Blue ting problem is gone...but the flicker remains.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is XvMC related. By altering the XvMC settings in Myth's player, I can improve/stabilize the playback. However, if usually returns with time (playing a video).

Any ideas/tips for how this might be improved?

Thanks,
        Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by ocgltd View Post
          I spoke to fast The Blue ting problem is gone...but the flicker remains.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is XvMC related. By altering the XvMC settings in Myth's player, I can improve/stabilize the playback. However, if usually returns with time (playing a video).

Any ideas/tips for how this might be improved?

Thanks,
          Michelle
          The ATI Linux drivers do not support XvMC.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X