One head not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One head not working

I'm having problems, with the 8.37 driver, on Fedora 6, with an X1300. I've run aticonfig --initial --dtop horizontal, but my 2nd head stays stubbornly dark. I've also tried aticonfig --initial=dual-head --screen-layout=left, same thing.

The really frustrating thing is, this worked once, but I don't know what I changed.

I should also note that the 2nd head works fine in console mode, but when I start X it immediately goes into power-save mode. For what it's worth, both heads are identical Dell 24" LCDs.

Here's my xorg.conf:
    Code:
    # Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier     "Default Layout"
            Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
            InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier  "Keyboard0"
            Driver      "kbd"
            Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
            Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
            Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
            Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
            Option      "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
            Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
            Driver      "fglrx"
            Option      "DesktopSetup" "horizontal"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
            Device     "Videocard0"
            DefaultDepth     24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
            EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
            Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
            Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
            DefaultDepth     24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
            EndSubSection
    EndSection

Try "aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1,crt2" . If amdcccle is running for you then you should be able to turn it on from there.

Comment

That also happened for me. I am running a dual screen (eg :0.0 and :0.1) setup as I prefer this (although it would be nice to drag windows between screens...)

I rolled back to the default ubuntu 7.04 driver and it now works for me again (although there are a few bugs on my Compaq nw8440 with that version, at least I can still use two screens)

I tried flicking over to F7 on Saturday (have been a Fedora supporter forever) but that was a mess - dead screen drivers, only partial support for my ipw3945 wireless using a new (and apparently more open?) driver.

Ubuntu just works for me - so I will probably now wait until they release the next version of fglrx that they deem to be "good" instead of being so bleeding edge... (although I do enjoy installing the latest drivers with anticipation of X redrawing my windows at a speed at least similar to windows and then the disappointment of it still being a bit crappy - thankfully Linux is still far better than windows in almost all other respects)

Comment

Originally posted by chris.j.schultz View Post
        That also happened for me. I am running a dual screen (eg :0.0 and :0.1) setup as I prefer this (although it would be nice to drag windows between screens...)

I rolled back to the default ubuntu 7.04 driver and it now works for me again (although there are a few bugs on my Compaq nw8440 with that version, at least I can still use two screens)

I tried flicking over to F7 on Saturday (have been a Fedora supporter forever) but that was a mess - dead screen drivers, only partial support for my ipw3945 wireless using a new (and apparently more open?) driver.

Ubuntu just works for me - so I will probably now wait until they release the next version of fglrx that they deem to be "good" instead of being so bleeding edge... (although I do enjoy installing the latest drivers with anticipation of X redrawing my windows at a speed at least similar to windows and then the disappointment of it still being a bit crappy - thankfully Linux is still far better than windows in almost all other respects)
        If X is drawing windows slowly, then it's not configured for radeon/fglrx or you have a "bleeding edge" ATI card.

If you don't know how to configure it manually, just install fglrx and run "aticonfig --initial" but save a backup of your xorg.conf first.

If fglrx isn't working for you for whatever reason (and NO, it's not your distro's fault) then just open xorg.conf (most likely in /etc/X11/xorg.conf) with your favorite editor and look for the "Driver" line under your "Device" Section. Change it to Driver "radeon".

Also, giving more info on your hardware/software (Ubuntu whatever-version doesn't mean anything) will greatly increase your chances for a decent answer.

Comment

oh man are you ever lucky.

I have 0 heads working with the 8.37 drivers, also they lock up my computer.

Even today, when running 8.36, after a couple of hours, I got display corruption in the lower right corner and the laptop locked up.

Hooray for ATI! Where do I send the invoice?

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
            oh man are you ever lucky.

I have 0 heads working with the 8.37 drivers, also they lock up my computer.

Even today, when running 8.36, after a couple of hours, I got display corruption in the lower right corner and the laptop locked up.

Hooray for ATI! Where do I send the invoice?

If you're sure that your configs/libs are fine, then it may be that your ATI card/bus may be a bit different than the "standard". I know that even on Windows, you have to download the (not-so-official?) drivers from your laptop manufacturer's site, as the "standard" ones are incompatible (as it is on my sister's Acer).

If that's the case, then it may not be ATI's fault as it is not directly responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
              If you're sure that your configs/libs are fine, then it may be that your ATI card/bus may be a bit different than the "standard". I know that even on Windows, you have to download the (not-so-official?) drivers from your laptop manufacturer's site, as the "standard" ones are incompatible (as it is on my sister's Acer).

If that's the case, then it may not be ATI's fault as it is not directly responsible.
              You might have hit the nail on the head, actually. But I guess there's nothing that can be done with this since the drivers are closed source?

This is part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" (Chipset = 0x3150)
              (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1028, PciSubDevice = 0x2002)
              (--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original ATI
              (...)
              (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI MOBILITY RADEON (M24)
              (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
              (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
              (...)
              (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported

It's a Dell laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
                You might have hit the nail on the head, actually. But I guess there's nothing that can be done with this since the drivers are closed source?

This is part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" (Chipset = 0x3150)
                (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1028, PciSubDevice = 0x2002)
                (--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original ATI
                (...)
                (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI MOBILITY RADEON (M24)
                (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
                (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
                (...)
                (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported

It's a Dell laptop.
                Then I guess that really is the problem - my Xorg.0.log shows original ATI (even though it's a Visiontek).

However, the display corruption may not be a driver fault. From ATI's support site:
                737-21477: Mobility Radeon X300 Display Corruption

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Mobility Catalyst 6.1
                * Mobility Radeon X300

When setting the display resolution to 800x600, followed by the Fn+ESC key combination to enter in Hibernation mode, display corruption may occur. Users may experience a brief flash, and the Hibernating graphic may appear at the bottom end of the display.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.
                That sounds a lot like the problem you describe. If a newer Catalyst has ever been released for X300, then there may be hope for you

Comment

Then I guess that really is the problem - my Xorg.0.log shows original ATI (even though it's a Visiontek).

However, the display corruption may not be a driver fault. From ATI's support site:

That sounds a lot like the problem you describe. If a newer Catalyst has ever been released for X300, then there may be hope for you
                  Thanks, but I doubt it's related. I've got an X600, I have no idea what "Catalyst" is (is it the windows drivers?), I don't use hibernate, I don't use 800x600 and I did not press Fn+Esc.

I posted another thread in this forum about it, where I suspected that it could be caused by the undocumented "Logo"/"Watermark" feature buffer being overrun.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Comment

Also, giving more info on your hardware/software (Ubuntu whatever-version doesn't mean anything) will greatly increase your chances for a decent answer.
                    Sorry - my comment was a little tongue in cheek, my Xorg is configured fine (I have been using GNU/Linux full time since 1997 on all of my PCs and laptops - other than my VMs that I have to use for work) and it runs fine - I was more comment on the general "feel" of window drawing under X. Switching between tabs in Firefox for instance always feels that little bit slower than on Windows is all...

Comment

Working...
                    X