Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.0, GNOME Shell, Mutter Near Final

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.0, GNOME Shell, Mutter Near Final

In preparation for the GNOME 2.91.6 release tomorrow, many GNOME modules are being checked in, including new versions of the GTK+ 3.0 tool-kit, the GNOME Shell, and the Mutter window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME 3 is amazing. There, I said it.

Comment

GNOME Shell 2.81.6 provides the standard desktop interface for the GNOME 3.0 desktop and new in its 2.91.6 release is a new calendar design with integration to the Evolution Data Server for supporting calendar appointments.
      Ugh! Not GNOME shell also. If there's one thing I dislike about GNOME it's the Evolution integration. I don't use that program but removing all traces of it is such a hassle with dependencies that it's just easier to leave some of it installed and deal with the ever recurring nagging dialogs that there are again security updates available for evolution.

Comment

I haven't followed Mutter development in the last months, I hope they finally solved the various performance problems? Can anyone comment on this?

Comment

Can anyone suggest steps for installing / testing the latest Gnome 3 development snapshots in a reasonably painless way? I don't actually care too much which distro I use, except that I want my base system (kernel, boot scripts, Xorg, etc) to actually be tested and stable. For instance, installing Gnome 3 development on Fedora 14 or Ubuntu 10.10 would be nice. But I don't want to try OpenSUSE Factory or Fedora Rawhide, because then you get the latest RC kernel, and a basically broken system that in all likelihood, won't install, won't boot, or something stupid like that, because people are releasing untested low-level software in the middle of the development release.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            I haven't followed Mutter development in the last months, I hope they finally solved the various performance problems? Can anyone comment on this?
            Performance is great nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              After all, X/graphics is the primary focus at Phoronix, where as the KDE 4.6 release is mentioned at every Linux news site under the sun so there is really no unique value for me to add to it.
              Uh huh. Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Uh huh. Sure.
                LOL @ you bringing that back up. I remember that thread

Comment

This is not news, folks.

Phoronix follows GNOME because this is what Ubuntu uses.

Ubuntu uses GNOME because this is what Debian uses.

Debian uses GNOME because of historic reasons back when Qt was infidel unpure software and because GNOME has more or less formal backing of FSF, which Debian is closely aligned with.

None of these are likely to change.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    This is not news, folks.

Phoronix follows GNOME because this is what Ubuntu uses.

Ubuntu uses GNOME because this is what Debian uses.

Debian uses GNOME because of historic reasons back when Qt was infidel unpure software and because GNOME has more or less formal backing of FSF, which Debian is closely aligned with.

None of these are likely to change.
                    Ummm that couldn't be any less accurate. Ubuntu uses GNOME because GNOME was/is more simplistic and Ubuntu's aim was the average Joe and the first time Linux user. So they went with GNOME because it has cleaner menus and fewer options to confuse your grandparents. KDE has been freely available in Debian repositories as long as I can remember. aptosid (formerly sidux) and MEPIS are Debian-based distros and they have no problems at all using KDE. Lindows/Linspere was also a Debian-based KDE distro.

Also, the prioblem with QT was less to do with it being "infidel unpure software" and more to do with Linux being in the golden age of zealotry. 95% of Linux users from back then can't even tell you what the real issue was other than the fact that they hated everything not GPL. There were some legitimate concerns from people on the outside looking in, but the potential problems never actually came into fruition, and most can't tell you what they were anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X