The Truth About ATI/AMD & Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    AMD's stuck, in all honesty. They HAVE to provide something that does a good job in the Linux space, if only to take on the markets they bought ATI for in the first place. To NOT do something here is to invite a stock price plunge at one of the worst possible times for them.
    I tend to think ATi was heading to supercomputing space anyhow, regardless of whether or not AMD bought them. I think the reason why ATi Linux drivers exist revolves around that particular spot. Maybe release a driver just to have something out there or something.

What I do hope from AMD is a bit of genuine improvement on everything more basic to the driver instead of adding more and more features.

Comment

There is some hope left.
      ATI is selling less cards every day.
      Maybe the need to became the good "open specs" guys

Comment

Originally posted by DrLecter View Post
        There is some hope left.
        ATI is selling less cards every day.
        how can you tell?

Comment

2006 Q3: http://www.jonpeddie.com/about/press...ook_Q406.shtml
          2007 Q1: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...502222033.html

And now... if you buy a high end card, will it be ati or nvidia?

Many linux users double boot with windows just for games and ati drivers in linux are not very good

Comment

Originally posted by DrLecter View Post
            And now... if you buy a high end card, will it be ati or nvidia?
            Heh... I bought a laptop with an NVidia GPU in it- explicitly looking for NVidia parts. I bought a Core Duo instead of the Turion/Athlon equivalent because of the parts layout, namely it's more difficult right at the moment to find a laptop with NVidia with those CPUs in it, though it IS getting easier.

AMD needs to get this in their head and get it now- you are losing sales in many areas because of all these fun and games they've been doing with us and it only gets worse from here if they don't do something real to fix it and do it quickly.

Comment

hi guys,

really funny:
              i read the following quote in the quake wars forum (linked by a german newsticker):
              "But fear not, ATI and NVidia have expressed interest in getting a Linux client early, so they can review how it performs and get their drivers adjusted. When we release, we'll release a high quality product, just like we do on Windows."

LOL
              you can read it here:

bye

Comment

Coming from TTimo id take that at face value.Well i dunno what to think anymore. It seems to me that some ppl within AMD want to fix the situation but its too messed up to get fixed in a timely fashion it seems.
                BTW DrLecter id bet that the HD2600-2400 cards will be huge successes with OEMs because of pricing and TDP.
                Also if AMD had half decent drivers out the 2900 would look like a very temping bargain to me right now. But with not even basic support its on indefinite hold by which time Nvidia might have something out to both fit my budget and my performance expectations.
                Last edited by Raven3x7; 28 June 2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
                  BTW DrLecter id bet that the HD2600-2400 cards will be huge successes with OEMs because of pricing and TDP.
                  Also if AMD had half decent drivers out the 2900 would look like a very temping bargain to me right now. But with not even basic support its on indefinite hold by which time Nvidia might have something out to both fit my budget and my performance expectations.
                  The problem is the "if". I have been waiting for a year. Too late for me

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
                    Coming from TTimo id take that at face value.Well i dunno what to think anymore. It seems to me that some ppl within AMD want to fix the situation but its too messed up to get fixed in a timely fashion it seems.
                    There's quite a few people, I suspect, that are wanting the mess to be fixed and not in the way you'd do an animal. Unfortunately for AMD, they just laid off 5% of their global workforce- not a thing you do when you need to hire people instead.

Comment

• check this:

bye

Comment

Working...
                      X