AMD 8.37.6 -- The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 8.37.6 -- The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version

The AMD/ATI fglrx 8.37.6 driver is now available... It contains X server 1.3 naming fix, AMDCCCLE v1.0 (adds translations and the 3D page), RHEL5 support, and some random fixes.

Originally posted by Phoronix
    It was a year ago that AMD/ATI had delivered the fglrx 8.25.18 display driver, which corrected a bug causing issues with the Radeon X1000 512MB video cards, added new product support, and squashed a variety of other bugs. Well, today AMD delivered the 8.37.6 Linux display driver. Affecting this driver the most is support for X server version 1.3 and appended several other fixes along with a slight upgrade to the AMD Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition. While no AIGLX support was added or no new features introduced, the upgrade should be worth the time
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FEDORA USERS, READ THIS
    Okay, here's the scoop on Fedora 7. WIth AMD fixing the X 1.3 problem, the drivers will build. However, when you install the RPMs for Fedora 7, aticonfig will crash and will remove your xorg.conf (though the original is renamed). If you manually update your xorg.conf and then restart X, fglrx will fail to load and you'll find a backtrace in your Xorg.0.log. So if you need the fglrx drivers to survive, don't upgrade to Fedora 7 just yet. Stay tuned to the forums for more information. This issue with 8.37 should not cause problems with Fedora Core 6 or previous versions.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

it amuses (and embarasses) me to no end when i look at the linked page (on the ati site) and i see that i need Qt2 to use the panel and only Xorg <=7.1 is supported (and glibc 2.2-2.3 ) :]

does anybody from ati actually read this page ?

oh well. talk about timely r600 support. it was supposed to be in a couple of releases ago.

i think ati is doing some kind of psychological warfare on its linux users. i am a patient ati user but i've already given up hope for performance improvement and aiglx. i just want xorg and kernel compatiblity, since i cannot afford to buy a different video card, at least right now.

i can live with awful video tearing and system lockups. i guess i've given up on ati with this release.
    Last edited by yoshi314; 31 May 2007, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I like it how you always name the new drivers, keep this and think of more negative aspects when they bring us AIGLX, please

The release notes look damn small, but I can really see they are improving they linux driver. AIGLX Support and the new OpenGL driver which should give us more performance and we are on the same level with nVidia. Did they have the feature for AA/AF setting in the driver?

Comment

we should bet on the name for the next release.

i'm going for "nothing new edition" :]

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          I like it how you always name the new drivers, keep this and think of more negative aspects when they bring us AIGLX, please

The release notes look damn small, but I can really see they are improving they linux driver. AIGLX Support and the new OpenGL driver which should give us more performance and we are on the same level with nVidia. Did they have the feature for AA/AF setting in the driver?
          All of the real details and changes can be found @ http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10069
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

+ CCC offers AA/AF settings
            + CCC translation updates
            + Xorg Server 1.3 support
            + RHEL5 support
            + proper Vsync swapping
            + crashbug fix for logging of from X
            + Xv cropping bug fixed

I already spread the word about it in some german forums and on the Sidux forum, so I can have my new Sidux 2007-02 with Xorg Server 1.3 running tomorrow

Hopefully fglrx 8.38 comes in 2 weeks ^^ Not impossible.

Comment

mm, even 8.37 doesnt compile on kernel 2.6.22rc3.
              I tried the patch here: http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2849
              but no luck. any ideas?
              thx

Comment

+ CCC translation updates
                the polish one is awful, though :]

Comment

So can anyone confirm they fixed the xv playback issue that cropped up in 8.36.5?

Comment

So can anyone confirm they fixed the xv playback issue that cropped up in 8.36.5?
                    which one? because the tearing got reduced but it's still there. it only appears HD resolution videos.

Comment

Working...
                    X