A Linux Compiler Deathmatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
    so do you have a suggested set of flags I should use for ICC in my final round of tests? I am about to have the -Os round finished (only open64 left to run) and after that I was going for a round of compiler-specific and supposedly optimized flags.
    I would suggest to create a set of profiles for each compiler and test them. Something like this:

ICC version 12 (parallel studio xe 2011)
    most agresive flags: -fast -no-prec-div -fp-model fast
    more agresive flags: -O3 -xHOST -ip -no-prec-div -fp-model fast
    agresive flags: -O3 -xHOST -ip
    normal O3: -O3
    normal O2: -O2
    normal Os: -Os

open64 4.2.3
    most agresive flags: -ofast
    more agresive flags: -O3 -ffast-math -lno -apo -mso -march=wolfdale
    agresive flags: -O3 -lno -apo -mso -march=wolfdale

GCC 4.5.2
    most agresive flags: -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -mtune=native -fexcess-precision=fast -ftree-parallelize-loops=5 -floop-parallelize-all -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -flto
    more agresive flags: -O3 -ffast-math -march=native -mtune=native -fexcess-precision=fast -ftree-parallelize-loops=5 -floop-parallelize-all -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -flto
    agresive flags: -O3 -march=native -mtune=native -ftree-parallelize-loops=5 -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -flto

If u are not in the mood to do alll this , I would suggest to try more agresive flags or agresive flags profile.

note1: Most agresive flags and more agresive flags perform not acurate IEEE maths operations, but this should be fine for most programs.
    note2: This is my personal choice, I only toyed a little with GCC vs ICC in the past, so those flags could be wrong or not optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      If u are not in the mood to do alll this , I would suggest to try more agresive flags or agresive flags profile.

note1: Most agresive flags and more agresive flags perform not acurate IEEE maths operations, but this should be fine for most programs.
      note2: This is my personal choice, I only toyed a little with GCC vs ICC in the past, so those flags could be wrong or not optimal.
      Heh.. I was basically planning on doing just a single round more after the -Os one... so I will go for the "most aggressive" choice :P

Got some tips about how to format the data nicer from mtippet, which I will try for the -Os merge.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
        ... so I will go for the "most aggressive" choice :P
        Nice! this should be the interesting round!!

Enable -flto on GCC is a little tricky, it seems that your LDFLAGS should be the same that CFLAGS, so you should edit the makefile and copy paste the CFLAGS flags into LDFLAGS, but I am not really sure at all about -flto flag, sorry.

Comment

open64 4.2.3
          most agresive flags: -Ofast -ffast-math -lno -apo -mso -march=wolfdale

If most aggressive choice doesn't compile , change to more aggressive choice.

Comment

Community CompilerDeathMatch updated with -Os

A new merge with the -Os results are hereby presented:

Enjoy!

Next up: Aggressive and compiler-specific settings (are there any tweaks that can be made to TCC?).

Comment

Intermediate update, specific optimizations.

The final round of the CompilerDeathMatch has started.

An intermediate update can be found here:

Changes:
              - Optimization for PCC (suggested by Anders Magnusson, PCC mantainer)
              - the suggested most aggressive optimizations for ICC and GCC
              - SolarisStudio on default settings

The SolarisStudio is a late commer to the party, but will hopefully catch up soon.

Comment

Final results in new thread

I have put the final results for discussion in a new thread

Comment

Working...
                X