Integrated video chipsets: Ati vs. Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrated video chipsets: Ati vs. Nvidia

As a fringe linux user, I'm aware that Ati has a poorer reputation than Nvidia regarding graphics drivers support.
    I don't want to start a flame war, but how does this affect integrated video chipset drivers?

At some point I'd like to build a new desktop using something in the 6150/7050 or 690G class. I'm not a gamer so I'm thinking more of general 2D display, but also considering the current desktop eye candy and also video and HD playback.

As a frequent poster at another hardware site, I'd also like to be able to give accurate advice on the linux capability of these chipsets.

Hi Danceman, from HWC I presume?

Nowadays, the ATI fglrx are as easy to install as the nvidia drivers. Where the nvidia drivers beat the ati drivers hands down, are in performance, which is usually as good or better than in windows and for their aiglx support. The ATI performance, in linux, is about half as it is in windows. The best choice, at least for now, is nvidia all the way.

Comment

Yes, the same.

You've confirmed what I suspected. Glad to know for sure. I guess it will take some time for the 7050 boards to hit the market.

Comment

I belive that these boards are scheduled for sometime in the 3rd quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by DanceMan View Post
          Yes, the same.

You've confirmed what I suspected. Glad to know for sure. I guess it will take some time for the 7050 boards to hit the market.
          There seems to be one already out on Newegg if you're in the U.S., however its out of stock but definitely worth keeping your eyes on. Although, Linux support with this board is unknown, I would imagine it would work, and video should work with the latest beta nvidia drivers, but you never know.

Buy BIOSTAR TForce TF7050-M2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Update:

I just did some research on it and it doesn't appear like nvidia has put in support for the 7050 in the linux driver yet, but of course, they got Windows support . Support will probably come sometime in the summer.
          Last edited by Vakilik; 29 May 2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

The Biostar board is the one that's been reviewed by several sites. I'm not in a hurry -- this is something for six months in the future. By then the driver support would not be an issue.

Comment

Working...
            X