This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It will ideally be pushed out towards the middle of the month and won't face multiple delays again... ideally.
    Okay. Thank you for the reply, Michael.

Comment

hi michael,

being on the beta program, have you had a copy of the next release, and if so does if fix the f7 problems?

thanks in advance,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danielpugh View Post
        hi michael,

being on the beta program, have you had a copy of the next release, and if so does if fix the f7 problems?

thanks in advance,

Dan
        While I am bound by NDA regarding the specifics for upcoming driver releases, I have yet to see an AMD fglrx release that fully works with Fedora 7.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Fellas, on one hand i would agreee with you aqusing Phoronix and AMD/ATI.
          but to the contrast:
          - I have been using Linux for 8 years now.
          - Used Redhat,Slackware,Knoppix,Debian and Fedora from FC1

Would you like me to aquse Intel and ATI becuase it simply does not run in ANY mode on my Lenovo laptop! how do you like that? even the init mode 3 it does hang! can you belive that?
          FC3-6 worked mostly with no problem but did required some modifications and tweaks. FC7 - simply does not work. Deal with it. and i would rather jump on FC developers for releasing OS that absolutelly does not work in a simple console mode, i mean common at least make some nice Docs prior releaseing OS that has info: this is changed you must play with this is you havgin problems and etc.

Example: i boot in level 3, unplug network cord, plug it back into jack - and the laptop booted in FC7 - frozen.

and don't start - that my hardware is f***ed - it's not.

so the answer - don't jump on one person - when it is actually a lot more involved. forget at the moment about ATI driver and FC7 - FC7 is broken at the moment (as always when new Fedore come out) and no real documentation there that can help quickly narrow the problem.

Have fun.

Comment

Okay, here's the scoop on Fedora 7. WIth AMD fixing the X 1.3 problem, the drivers will build. However, when you install the RPMs for Fedora 7, aticonfig will crash and will remove your xorg.conf (though the original is renamed)(...)
            And from my own problem:

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
            I now noticed that I have the same problem with aticonfig IF the xserver is running. For example I do
            Code:

# aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1
            Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-0

and then it "freezes" the same way that amdcccle does, and strace shows the same (or similar?) "Resource temporarily unvailable" error.
            Maybe the two problems are related (ie. not fedora specific). If by "crash" you mean "freeze" then it could very well be the same problem. So then:
            They are not X.Org related and I will explain more in the very near future
            How near is the very near future?
            Last edited by Xipeos; 05 June 2007, 12:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
              And from my own problem:

Maybe the two problems are related (ie. not fedora specific). If by "crash" you mean "freeze" the it could very well be the same problem. So then:

How near is the very near future?
              Okay, here's the scoop on Fedora 7. WIth AMD fixing the X 1.3 problem, the drivers will build. However, when you install the RPMs for Fedora 7, aticonfig will crash and will remove your xorg.conf (though the original is renamed). If you manually update your xorg.conf and then restart X, fglrx will fail to load and you'll find a backtrace in your Xorg.0.log. So if you need the fglrx drivers to survive, don't upgrade to Fedora 7 just yet. Stay tuned to the forums for more information. This issue with 8.37 should not cause problems with Fedora Core 6 or previous versions.
              I just couldn't share prior to the driver release that they would have the X 1.3 fix in the release.

These problems are still under investigation and as of yet they aren't fixed for 8.38 (except for aticonfig being fixed).
              Michael Larabel

Comment

thanks

thanks michael,

bugs take time to fix, so perfectly understandable. Particularly with new release. similar problems affecting me with open source drivers (iwlwifi - although git shows that the latest release fixes more problems)/

has ati/amd considered supporting something similar in parallel? i realise this is a fairly frequent question - but starting a community driven effort may gain ati/amd some kudos kick-start a long term solution (which is really needed for linux as an os) and help them by allowing them to eventually overcome the issues that prevent them releasing their own open source drivers (3rd party licensing by all accounts).

what are your thoughts on this (i noticed you mentioned something about ati/nouveau a while back but its hard to find info on the net), and in light of the recent ati/amd integration?
                what do the developers ati think on this matter (obviously nda's may apply etc etc) as it strikes me they get a fair amount of flack which is unwarranted.

sorry if all this has been asked before

Comment

nvidia equivalent

almost as i wrote above ... an article by nvidia director of unix software talking about dual(open-source & proprietary) driver development/support

Andy Ritger, ředitel oddělení pro unixový software ze společnosti NVIDIA, odpověděl na naše otázky ohledně proprietárních ovladačů pro Linux.

Comment

dual head with X1300

Well, first off, see: http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=224

More information to come later in the week.
                    I cannot get dual-head to work with the X1300 on FC-7. Do you believe this may also be fixed by the hopefully soon to be release updated ati-fglrx driver?

in brief, altho i configured (thru the sytem utilities Monitor gui) for dual-head, i in fact simply get duplication instead (each of the two monitors displays exactly the same and no 'drag' to the other screen is possible.

One detail: my x1300 video card has exactly 1 video out port. the Montor cfg gui seems to be geared towards TWO video cards. could this be part of the problem?

any pointers to additional info re: dual head for the x1300 will be greatly appreciated.

tx,

- racoco

Comment

Originally posted by racoco View Post
                      I cannot get dual-head to work with the X1300 on FC-7. Do you believe this may also be fixed by the hopefully soon to be release updated ati-fglrx driver?

in brief, altho i configured (thru the sytem utilities Monitor gui) for dual-head, i in fact simply get duplication instead (each of the two monitors displays exactly the same and no 'drag' to the other screen is possible.

One detail: my x1300 video card has exactly 1 video out port. the Montor cfg gui seems to be geared towards TWO video cards. could this be part of the problem?

any pointers to additional info re: dual head for the x1300 will be greatly appreciated.

tx,

- racoco
                      Right now you are using the vesa driver with your X1300. Once you get the fglrx driver working, you can enable dual head through aticonfig.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X