No announcement yet.

Version 1.0 Of Enlightenment Foundation Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enlightenment looks pretty good, except that from what I've seen, it has a distinctly 90s look to it. Have they started to integrate animations and effects like Gnome and KDE have in recent years? Making a new desktop that is bereft of eye candy is unlikely to get much adoption, since everyone from Microsoft to Apple to Google has been laying it on thick with composited interfaces with "whizzy" effects. I guess you could still win over the Puppy Linux / DamnSmallLinux crowd with a simple interface, but XFCE and LXDE have already completely cornered that market IMO.

Still, more choices isn't a bad thing. The "point" of the project, if nothing else, is to have fun and release free software -- if it actually has users on top of that, it's a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      Enlightenment looks pretty good, except that from what I've seen, it has a distinctly 90s look to it. Have they started to integrate animations and effects like Gnome and KDE have in recent years?
      Its probably the official theme that has TOOOOO much "blink" making it look cheap as an end result. I find that both the previous Gold and the current Black and White lack elegance.

I remember however that E17 had animations and stuff waaaaaaaaaaay before kde and gnome

Comment

I concur, back then e17 looked the best. Unless allquixotic is talking about 3d / compiz effects, that is. It was also the "heavy" wm, kinda like kwin and metacity are now.
        Now though, I bet e17 is lighter than the lxde/openbox environment.

It's light and looks good, if you ask me what it lacked and lacks is releases.

If you need a vid, take a look at the propaganda video of elive. It looks very good there.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Changing the numbering system won't do much - making it 1.00 doesn't magically make something "stable".
          in terms of a library it often means that the API will be stable (not changing). this is good news for people building apps based on them.

Comment

Enlightenment looks pretty good, except that from what I've seen, it has a distinctly 90s look to it. Have they started to integrate animations and effects like Gnome and KDE have in recent years? Making a new desktop that is bereft of eye candy is unlikely to get much adoption, since everyone from Microsoft to Apple to Google has been laying it on thick with composited interfaces with "whizzy" effects. I guess you could still win over the Puppy Linux / DamnSmallLinux crowd with a simple interface, but XFCE and LXDE have already completely cornered that market IMO.
            I tried E17 a few months ago and it's very very slick. It's extremely impressive, given it's minuscule size - I'd say its effects look quite close to KDE/kwin. There's really no comparison with LXDE and the like. E17 is aeons ahead.

(That's my impression after a few hours of use).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              I tried E17 a few months ago and it's very very slick. It's extremely impressive, given it's minuscule size - I'd say its effects look quite close to KDE/kwin. There's really no comparison with LXDE and the like. E17 is aeons ahead.

(That's my impression after a few hours of use).
              Oh! I guess you can't really see animated effects from still screenshots, eh? That must be why I wasn't impressed. Silly me! I'll look for a video of a recent Enlightenment build being shown off. Not that I'm likely to switch from Gnome, but I might try it to broaden my horizons!

Comment

Oh! I guess you can't really see animated effects from still screenshots, eh? That must be why I wasn't impressed. Silly me! I'll look for a video of a recent Enlightenment build being shown off. Not that I'm likely to switch from Gnome, but I might try it to broaden my horizons!
                Continued in Part 1.2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoYKvjNj8OM )Part 1 of two videos on Enlightenment DR17 WM [ Configuration and tips ].Enlightenment DR...

Continued from Part 1.1 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpQS-4k1E0 )Part 1 of two videos on Enlightenment DR17 WM [ Configuration and tips ].Enlightenment ...

those were uploaded about a month ago

enjoy.

(needs a bit more polishing in the graphic department ie icons theme etc)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpQS-4k1E0

Continued from Part 1.1 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpQS-4k1E0 )Part 1 of two videos on Enlightenment DR17 WM [ Configuration and tips ].Enlightenment ...

those were uploaded about a month ago

enjoy.

(needs a bit more polishing in the graphic department ie icons theme etc)
                  Looks snappy.
                  And "slide pointer to new window" is neat. Can other WMs do that?

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                    You can't compare Enlightenment with KDE and GNOME. Both KDE and GNOME have fairly large teams of developers working on their respective projects while E17, although having a few other developers over the years, has largely been been the creation of one person
                    That's exactly the point I was trying to make: Why do you think GNOME and KDE are large teams? They release stuff. That's why.
                    Maybe he doesn't want other developers. If that's the case, his approach is the perfect way to ensure nobody will ever be interested in Enlightenment.

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                    Frankly I have no problem with the project's "It Will Be Done When It's Done" approach rather than a hard timeline. After all a hard timeline is what produced abominations like KDE 4.0X and 4.1X, and I like KDE.
                    If there is an abomination then it's Enlightenment's development procedure.
                    KDE proved that despite criticism KDE 4.0 was helping the project overall. Always postponing releases only leads to problems: Developers leave, new ones don't get attracted, nobody uses the software.

If the main Enlightenment developer only wants to do his thing and don't work in a team, fine. Then I take back all my negative comments because he does it exactly as he likes.
                    In the meantime KDE grew from an ambitious project of a handful of developers into one of the biggest FOSS communities in the world.

Comment

Thats a nice tight coherent developed system, I bet it'll see some fairly wide adoption.

Comment

Working...
                      X