Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This GLX Patch Can Really Boosts The FPS (~ +60%)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what values would be on the same hardware with direct rendering?
    I mean, what's the difference in speed with indirect rendering and this patch and direct rendering?

Comment

Impact of using indirect GLX vs DRI

Using padman@1024x768 locally:
      Code:
                        i5-2500   c2q/g45    c2q/q35
      Direct:             145        94         66
      Indirect:            74        35         42

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
        Code:
        Is this with or without the new patches?

Comment

Can any one enlighten the differenc between direct indirect rendering? And when they are used?

Comment

Code:
            Unpatched:           39        25         28

Comment

Indirect rendering goes through the X server -- application makes GL calls, those are turned into X protocol packets and sent to the server process via IPC. The X server then calls the 3D driver (mesa or proprietary) to do the drawing, so drawing happens in the X server's process.

With direct rendering the application makes GL calls then those calls go directly to the 3D driver. There is a protocol called DRI which allows the 3D driver to efficiently check with the X server to ensure that the window has not moved since the last drawing operation.

Indirect rendering can work over a network or (presumably) between virtual machines; direct rendering requires that the application reside on the same machine as the graphics hardware. Indirect rendering is useful for applications such as compositors, where the compositor is picking up content rendered by the X server.
              Test signature

Comment

so he got a big speedup with games that are run in a typical 'server here, client there' setup of the X world.

Which is used by almost... nobody. Yeah, superduper, I am so excited.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  so he got a big speedup with games that are run in a typical 'server here, client there' setup of the X world.

Which is used by almost... nobody. Yeah, superduper, I am so excited.
                  Not everyone plays games with GLX...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Not everyone plays games with GLX...
                    Intel only cares about cloud. Which means in about a year. I'll be using arch and ripping all their crap out before compiling.
                    Dear microsoft, Dear Intel, Dear IBM. FLUCK YO CLOUD RIGGER!!!

Comment

Since you cant edit.
                      You aint indirectly rendering jack for me on the cloud intel. Stuff it.

Comment

Working...
                      X