X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian "woody".

Comment

• Best Linux 2000. Yup, Linux distro with that name existed. It was terrible but the manual that came in the box was awesome.

Comment

• My first distro was Slackware back in 2002. I don't even completely remember the version, I think it was 8 or 9. It was when the 2.6.x kernel was just starting up, I remember the distro would install the 2.4.x kernel by default, but you could install it with 2.6.x (I think it was 2.6.5) if you wanted (which I did). At that time Slack didn't have much of a package system so I went through dependency hell (several times) getting things installed. I also nuked my system a bunch of times messing around with stuff but it was all good because I was in control so when I would mess up and nuke the system I would realise why and learn from it.

There will always be a special place in my heart for Slack. I wouldn't recommend others start learning Linux like that because most people aren't touched in the head like me and wouldn't enjoy going through dependency hell, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I learned so much from Slack and once I figured things out and got everything installed it was stable as a rock. Like the saying goes "If a version of a program has made it into Slackware you know for sure that it's truly stable."

From there I moved onto Suse, Ubuntu (when it first came out), back to Suse, Gentoo, FreeBSD (not Linux I know), back to Ubuntu, then finally Fedora where I've spent the last year and a half or so and counting.

Comment

• Xandros 3 Standard, then Ubuntu 8.04 a long time later. Nowadays I use Debian.

Comment

• my first distro was ubuntu, I think.
            I later transitioned to arch, thank god.
            and now I'm using gentoo.

Comment

• Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
              my first distro was ubuntu, I think.
              I later transitioned to arch, thank god.
              and now I'm using gentoo.
              That's the definition of evolution bro

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                That's the definition of evolution bro
                And then back to Ubuntu again. That's what I did.
                'cause I truly want to spend my time using the system, not configuring it.

Comment

• People are different. I find Ubuntu unusable

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtigyro View Post
                    And then back to Ubuntu again. That's what I did.
                    'cause I truly want to spend my time using the system, not configuring it.
                    Rather wipe your system and install a new version of it every 6 months

p.s. love rolling updates.

Comment

• Iirc something like Gentoo->Ubuntu->Debian->Ubuntu->Fedora->Gentoo->Fedora for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X