This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by acreda View Post
    I first stated out on suse 10.0, cant remember why but i did like all the GUI edditing and YAST was particauly good for a very compitent user rather than Tech geek

I switched after 10.2 after getting fed up of it being so Acteture centric so i switced and started useing 32-Bit unbuntu on my AMD64 comp to sort out the things like flashplayer but also watiting for UT3 which as far as i can guess is still only going to be released as at 32bit package (i hope)
    you can use 32bit software with 64bit distris. If the distris don't suck that is.

Comment

• My name is derred, and I'm a linux'a'holic

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I just thought I would ask what your first Linux distribution was that you ever tried.

My first distribution that I used way back when was Mandrake.
      I was a mandrake nut 2.
      Got a late start by borrowing some CD's from a friend back in '99. But version 9.0 was what got me hooked on linux. Even though I don't use Mandrake or Mandriva, and I can't really stand KDE anymore, I still check them out for old times sake every once in a while.
      Gnome and Ubuntu may have spoiled me but it was the 'drake that got me going.

Comment

• I first tried Ubuntu 6.06 when a mate was showing me his compiz build.

Put it on my compy, kept breaking it. Shortly after, I went to 6.10 (RC1) that was O.K.

Eventually got frustrated about a month into it. Went to Windows.

Got HEAVILY frustrated with Windows shortly before Ubuntu 7.04, kept watching for the official release of Feisty Fawn and installed it on release day.

Got frustrated with Feisty, tried Fedora 8 HATED the package manager. HATE.

Tried OpenSUSE 10.1 (I think, got the disc around somewhere).

accidentally typed sudo rm -rf /etc instead of sudo rm -rf ./etc - Note the '.'

So I went back to Feisty.

Got my 7.10 disc and my 8.04 disc from ShipIt

Using 8.04.

SO, I found my perfect Distro right from the start.

Want to test Debian though. I think it may break my Ubuntu cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by derred View Post
          I was a mandrake nut 2.
          Got a late start by borrowing some CD's from a friend back in '99. But version 9.0 was what got me hooked on linux. Even though I don't use Mandrake or Mandriva, and I can't really stand KDE anymore, I still check them out for old times sake every once in a while.
          Gnome and Ubuntu may have spoiled me but it was the 'drake that got me going.
          Me too, but it was late 2002.

Comment

• Slackware 8.0 back in late 2001...

Comment

• My first distro ever was a Red Hat 5.2 cd that came with Portuguese tech magazine "Bit".

I still remember that it came with Fvwm95, and it was pretty ugly . But hey, it planted the seed, so over the years I kept getting more and more interested and nowadays I only use linux on all my desktops, laptops and servers, and I have installed it for friends, colleagues and family members

Comment

• My first personal copy of Linux was Mandrake 9.0, bought off eBay for $8 plus $3 for shipping. I didn't even know at the time that I could have downloaded it for free, but we had dialup (28.8 at best), and it wouldn't have done any good.

From there I moved on to Red Hat 8 or 9, which is also what we used in college to telnet into for compiling about a year later.

Comment

• My first experience with Linux was Red Hat. I think it was version 5.2 but I'm a little uncertain.

Since then I tried Linux on my own computers and this is how it has been: Debian Slink (m68k Amiga), Debian Potato (ppc Amiga), Debian Woody, Debian Sarge and at the present I'm with Debian Etch and I'm going for an upgrade to Debian Lenny later this year when it's classified as stable.

Comment

• Arch Linux, just a few months ago!

On Ubuntu now because I had to set the laptop up for travel quickly and couldn't be bothered setting everything up.. Going back to Arch or trying FreeBSD when I get home again

Comment

• RedHat 4.2

Comment

Working...
                      X