X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That would be Mandrake 10.1 or 10.2.

Comment

• My very first glimpse of a linux distro was Ubuntu 6.06. LiveCD worked well enough, but when I tried to install it it didn't detect my softRAID array neither my adsl modem. Two days later I was installing Fedora 8 which detected everything (bought a proper router in the mean time).

Comment

• I had played briefly with Linux around 2000-2001, but the first version I installed on my own computer was Redhat 8, which I quickly updated to 9. I then jumped to Slackware for maybe 5 years, until I found it too inconvenient. Kubuntu followed, but just this past week it gave me issues, so now it's Fedora... all a big circle I guess, huh?

Comment

• The very first Linux distribution I used was Suse, but never really stuck with it. I also had RedHat, Windows/DOS and OS2 around. Then Mandrake for desktop and slack as home server. Suddenly I got stuck with Gentoo...

Comment

• Debian back around 2004 or so.

Comment

• Redhat 6.2

Comment

• My first distribution was Suse, somewhere around 2003. I was getting really fed up with Windows for various reasons. Then I got into dependency hell, so I went back to Windows. Some time later I tried again with Gentoo. I never got through the installation.

Then I tried again in 2004, with the Fedora Cores. Again, dependency hell, so I went back to Windows.

And then, Ubuntu 5.04, Hoary Hedgehog. No dependency hell! Since then, it has been Ubuntu all the way, with diversions to Debian and Fedora for fun. I've also tried LFS once, but that ended the same way as Gentoo. Nowadays, I could probably set up Gentoo without problems, but I don't want to waste my time anymore.

I find it amazing what a development I've seen in Linux. And then I know that friends of mine have been basically stuck, using Windows XP for the last 10 years. Sad sad sad.

Comment

• fedora core 5

Comment

• Xubuntu 7.04

Before: "Linux? That's a black screen with white text on it, right?"

After: "WHOOOOOOAAAAAA it can do all THIS?!?!"

Comment

• Slackware 3.0-3.1ish (Linux 2.0.28 or so, I think)

Cheers,
                      Jesse

Comment

Working...
                      X